Category 'c' writeoff

leggoe

My ex buddy (named driver on my policy) wrote off my 1998 built SEi - I bought the bits back off the insurers. Westy are about to weld on a new front chassis - anyone got any suggestions, tips or horror stories regarding rebuild & putting it back on the road? I know I've got to put it through a VIC test but that's about it for my knowledge - be grateful for anything anyone else has on the subject.

Might be worth talking to your insurance company? When I was looking for my first Westfield, one of the ones I was interested in had been subject to an insurance right off (can't remember the category, sorry). Dave Spragg at MSM talked me through the various categories, and what was involved in getting the car back on the road in each case.

Good luck.

Andy

cat. a+b usually for spares only they have had more serious damge . cat c +d repairable salvage. cat d being the less serious. cat x is non recorded {hpi-clear}  salvage stuff like stolen then found ,  scratches, minor dents where the previous keepers have rejected the car, normally very modern cars to be cat X.

The test you need to put it through after its repaired is straight forward, they are only checking the quality of the repair, If repaired as it should be you will have no probs.My pal had a cat D Mondeo  inspected and im fairly sure it was only visual, the car had a new roof and front end fitted, he is an electrician with limited mechanical knowledge and his passed with flying colours!!

I wouldnt worry too much.. :)  :)

A VIC test is only there to verify the identity of the vehicle and to check wether the vehicle is what it claims to be or wether it is a stolen one thats had its identity swapped. I rebuilt my westy last year from a CAT C and didn`t even need to go through the VIC test as the DVLA and VOSA had no marker on the system for the car so it was just a cast of reregistering the car on its original number.

IIRC the VIC test is about £45 now and takes about half an hour, its not like an SVA would be, they wouldn`t pick you up on a bad radius say, its just to confirm the vehicles identity.

If you need more info just ask.

Phil

Oh and before anyone else states the obvious, if your thinking of rebuilding the car may I suggest you "joint the club"  :D  it`ll be the best 25 quid you`ll ever spend.

:t-up:

Hi  I rebuilt mine last year cat D. I bought new chassis and body off Westfield, and only required MOT to put back on the road  Cheers  Tom :)  :)