When best to put engine in

avsum

This coming weekend my Blade engine should be ready for insertion :p . At the moment my chassis is on chassis stands which are rather high at 1metre. This has been great for all the mechanical bits so far. I have no bodywork on the chassis yet.

I am wondering about the best time to get the chassis off the stands and onto the ground, on it's shiny new KN Minator wheels. I would prefer to put the engine in after the chassis has been lifted precariously off the stands, as it means less weight for me and 5 mates to lift!

But as I have no bodywork on, riveting the underside edge of the main panel is gonna be tricky, unless I get it back onto the stands. Or maybe use some halfway house stands, enough to lift it say 40cm.

What would all you who have been through this process recommend?

I put my cossie engine in on axel stands and can still get to the underside without too much trouble, however it may be easier (was for me) to turn the chassis upside down to do the floor pannels.

I built all of mine on axel stands, now as I'm finishing off various bits I find it really simple to just jack the car on and off the stands as and when required. Including to rivet the underside of the body panel.

Also although I used a zetec engine, not a blade engine. The crane I used to put it in wouldn't have fitted in the garage, under the roof, with the engine high enough to put into the car, with it at 1m off the ground.

i would probably drop the engine in after the body work is on to be honest.. it would have been much easier to get the bodywork done without the engine in.

dont think there are any issues doing it this way round.

I agree with Matt.

Engine in first and then the body work.

Less chance of damage, accidents do happen, and you also get a much better access to the engine for all those little jobs that you forgot to do.

It also makes it easier for measuring the exit hole for the exhaust as well.

Rob

I did mine on axle stands before the body went on - i.e. I followed the build manual sequence. I didn't come up against any problems with this apart from the exhaust cut-out in the side of the car ( chicken before egg situation ) but this was relatively easily resolved with some original thinking!

Axle stands. Engine & box in, then bodywork. Only a jack needed then to lower to ground.

Your five mates can just stand around and take the p*ss, sorry I mean offer advise :p

Only issue is the chance of damaging the bodywork while dropping the engine in?

Probably best to lower it in carefully.

Mine was on axle stands when the engine went in and then I used the engine hoist and slings to lower each end of the car to the ground in turn. Exhaust hole was not  too much of an issue for me as WF gave me a template for Zetec and WF exhaust. But follow Steve Richards' process for this for anything else.

Kerry S