Vauxhall XE Sump

mattyt

Hi Guys        

I Am a new member to the site and wonder if someone can tell me what height the shortened XE Sump Needs to be when shortened.  Have got a couple and need to shorten one for the build

Many Thanks

Mattyt

Welcome Mattyt.

Fine choice of engine. But my advise, look after it, and treat it to a sump that is tried and tested. The wet sump offerings from the Westfield factory, SBD, and QED are very similar in design, and have all been proven.

Is it worth risking your engine to save a few quid?

If you are really hell bent on doing your own modified sump, use a sump off a 2 litre 8v engine - they are steel, and therefore much easier to modify.

HTH Stu  :t-up:

The SBD sump might not be the ideal solution (at least mine isn't)...STILL getting oil surge so it's off to Stanwood Engineering for some serious modding :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:

Cheers for the advice But

I have got 3 to have a go at and can weld ali no problems.

I know they distort when they are welded but just need to know what height the sump is when shortened so i can have a go.  I also have a surfaced grinder to regrind the gasket seat flat if there is any distortion

Also what length the pickup pipe has to be shortened by,  do SBD and Westfields sump have baffle plates in them or do they just use the standard one.

Once again thanks for the advice and can anyone help

matt

i think its 100mm.i  have done about three of these in the past,

you just hacksaw the part that tapers down, i then extended the front to regain oil capacity.

they are ok for road use ,but on track you will get oil surge :D

:D  :D  :D

Cheers for the info paul ash & pete G

i will have a go and let you know if i was sucessful

By the way hilux       What is a trapdoor baffle

Many Thanks

What is a trapdoor baffle

A small chamber with walls that create a sump within the sump.

The walls have a one way top hung flap on each wall so that whichever way the oil is thrown by centrifugal force etc the trap will not open. However the other traps will allow oil to pass through.

eg: When you brake hard the front flap stays shut due to the pressure of the oil on it but the back and side flaps allow oil in.

FWIW