SVA failed today!

davew

After having my SVA test this morning at Nottingham, unfortunately failed on a few things.

1) Exhaust noise 109db, (Std westfield silencer @ 4000rpm)that will teach me to buy a second hand silencer. 3 options:

New standard Westfield one

Westfield repackable silencer

or Wunoff Repackable.

2) No rear view mirror (aeroscreen) but I had one I could have fitted.

3) Front shocks ride height adjusters not radiused.  Could have sorted on the spot.

4) Main dipped beam on headlights not working, high beam and side lights fine.  I did check them must be a dodgy connection but probabally could have been sorted.

5) Small radius to sort out on wind mirror arm, again could have fixed there and then.

After agreement with the inspector that we could not fix the exhaust problem there was no point in fixing the other problems.

I was quite pleased with the rest of the results especially the emissions (2l zetec on carbs 1993)

CO% (3.5max) 0.32

HC ppm (1200max) 63

Everything else was fine.

It was really good to have my first real drive to and from the centre and the car felt great.  Just a shame about the fail.  I did notice a rattle coming from the engine which I will need to investigate and also hydraulic lifters a bit noisy.  May need to have a look at the timing as well and maybe get some adjustable vernier pulleys.

All in all more positive points than negative.

I cannot imagine driving on the raod without a windscreen, its bad enough without side screens above 50.

And that's just the wind won't you be pot blasted with flies, stones etc. what about rain?

Or are you going for a ww2 leather helmet and goggles ;)  :D

Snow and rain this morning with a pair of wileys and a bobble hat.  The aerodynamix (ex just the one) did a very good job of deflecting the elements.  I will be getting a helmet in the very near future.  My other half did laugh when she saw the weather report!

I cannot imagine driving on the raod without a windscreen, its bad enough without side screens above 50.

And that's just the wind won't you be pot blasted with flies, stones etc. what about rain?

Driving with an aeroscreen is FAR better than driving with a screen and no sidescreens. You don't get any of that terrible wind buffeting around the back of your head....Only the sheer force of the wind trying to rip your head off at speeds of 120 and above.

Rain tends to go over your head (factory aero).....but stones/flies are a bit of a pain (literally)...decent pair of polycarbonate sunnies and you're ok.

Aero is a much better experience for me over windscreen (having done both long term)

I was quite pleased with the rest of the results especially the emissions (2l zetec on carbs 1993)

CO% (3.5max) 0.32

HC ppm (1200max) 63

Everything else was fine.

b*******  :down:  Nothing Too serious though  :t-up:

HC - looks Good

CO - Looks abit Low though, How's it Running  ???

Mock ye not, there are some folks here wot do, and it is Blatbear's choice of clothing too.

Aeroscreen's rule!

Any suggestions on which silencer to go for.

Is the westfield repackable one really as quiet at it is claimed?

1) Exhaust noise 109db, that will teach me to buy a second hand silencer. 3 options:

New standard Westfield one

Westfield repackable silencer

or Wunoff Repackable.

If money is tight cut repack and reweld the can you have see me if you need it rewelding

Aeroscreen's rule!

Any suggestions on which silencer to go for.

Is the westfield repackable one really as quiet at it is claimed?

I off speak with John he does look after us westfield boys after all we let him DJ at the SS awards

I think they ar doin' a 7" now

cick me!

01274  619  070

Buzz

4000rpm sounds a bit fast to me for the noise test. I had my SVA last week, 1800 Zetec tested @ 3500rpm with WF standard silencer (new) with no probs.

Are you sure that you have the max power revs correct ???

Those extra 500 revs could make all the difference :oops:

Just a thought...

The noise test is carried out at a % of the figure at which u stated the engine develops max power. You can legally state that you were misinformed about that level and wish to revise the quoted figure. I revised mine to 4000 for the same engine, and subsequently passed as they tested at 3/4 of that figure I think.

AS u passed emissions, revise the max power figure, stick 2 or 3 stainless pan scrubbers up the end and hold in place with a split pin through 2 holes in the tailpipe, and spend the NEW CAN money on a rolling road set up.

Most of the radius probs can be sorted with self amalgamating tape.  

Good luck

Matt

Just checked my 'draft' copy of the SVA book which says...

"...Run the engine at a constant speed of 3/4 of its

maximum power speed..."

Mine was definately tested at 3500rpm (= 2/3)  ???