x-flow breather

mike m

Here we go again :) after reading all and yes all the posts on this subject i think I got it right but can you cast your eyes over it for me please replaced a bottle with a westfield tank

the pipes on the side Top pipe as a breather middle from the engine bottom from the rocker, then on the bottom of the tank 1 pipe blocked off with the other a sump return

Is this correct

tank

Thanks

Mike

Mike

I haven’t got a crossflow but from what I’ve seen and read here, the majority do the following –

• Block breather to rocker cover

• Rocker cover to catch tank

• Catch tank breather to under car

You should not have a return from the catch tank to the sump.  In your picture you are highlighting the level gauge…

Looks like you will have to blank off one of the inlets…

Good luck

You should not have a return from the catch tank to the sump.

If the facility exists to have one, why not?

My Cossie runs with a drain fron the catch tank to the sump...

Disclaimer. I can't see the picture here at work, so I may be talking through my hat :0

Ok, so you could have a return to the tank, but not with this tank.  He's proposing using one end of the sight tube......

Could use the drain plug to sump. My crossflow used to fill the catch tank very quickly when connected from block to catch tank. When changed to block to rocker cover and rocker cover to catch tank it was much better. :)

Mine used to have rocker to catch tank and crank to catch tank (tank mounted low level). It caused loads of problems, dumping oil out of the tank being one.

I have now been running for the last year:-

Rocker (mushroom filler cap) to a "T" piece between head and scuttle, crank to the "T" piece.

From the "T" to a catch tank mounted on the scuttle which vents to attmosphere.

I have only ever needed to drain the catch tank twice and it hardly collects any oil.

HTH

As loads of posts before will say...

Block breather MUST be plumbed into rocker cover, or be blocked off. Do not plumd this one straight to the catch tank, or oil will be thrown out quicker than you can put it in...

If plumbing the block breather to rocker cover (ideal), rocker cover must have separately plumbed breather to catch tank.

HTH Stu.

Thanks guys, have replaced an old plastic tank with the westfield one, the old plastic was just a bottle configured the way I have described above with holes in the top for venting, so lots of oil mist in the engine, @ big r the old setup had a sump return facility so by turning the tank upside down blanking one side of the view pipe the other is a direct return to the sump so no filling up hopefully

Mike

I find this all very strange.

I've only had my xflow for about a year, and I've only got the block breather connected to a catch tank and thats it.

The tank has NEVER had anything in it since I've owned the car, and the rocker cover doesn't have a take-off, just a ford breathing cap.

Am I just lucky that I don't suffer the same problems as everyone else or do I just need to drive it a bit harder  :devil:

Checked the oil level Will? :D

Mine is plumbed in the conventional fashion,block to head to catch tank via a Ford breather cap, then to atmosphere.If I leave the pipe from the breather cap of ,there is a strong smell of hot oil in the car. However,I have never had any oil in the catch tank which is mounted low down.Just lucky I guess.

When i fitted my Xflow (many years ago now and little experience of engine tuning etc) I fitted an alloy rocker cover (which had a small breather hole in it) I could lose about a pint of oil out of the breather into my catch tank on  a small run (connected direct from the crankcase breather (only advice i had been given) But when i put the standard ford rocker cover back on only a small amount came out. Hence i assumed that the top of the engine was having air restricted from breathing and forcing oil out the crankcase as a consequence.

I called the guy who had rebuilt my engine ( aldon automotive engineering as it was called at the time) who suggested i would only get the oil being spude out of the crankcase breather during the running in process and once the honing has worn and the rings bedded in it would not be a problem, since the bores would be fully sealed,  and he was right.

I have the crankcase breather connected direct to the catch tank and have not had a drop of oil collect since the engine became run in.

probably why the guy above don't have the problem since thier engines are run in ?

Ive got the same setup as Itguy - Block straight to catch tank, catch tank to atmosphere. And normal breather cap on rocker cover.

I empty about half a cup of oil from my catch tank each year - after a couple of thousand miles.  Oil level is spot on too.

If catch tanks are filling up easily, i would say they are overfilled with oil.