polishing gel body ?

fourtycents

Hi i was wondering what anybody's thought's were on using a polishing mop and cutting compound on the body of my westie as it is showing it's age, would this be a good way to restore it or would it scratch the surface ? i have quite a few light scratches on the surface and i would like to bring it back to it's former glory , if not any other idea's becides a respray ?

Hi i was wondering what anybody's thought's were on using a polishing mop and cutting compound on the body of my westie as it is showing it's age, would this be a good way to restore it or would it scratch the surface ? i have quite a few light scratches on the surface and i would like to bring it back to it's former glory , if not any other idea's becides a respray ?

G3 and a buffer {machine-polisher} with a compound head fitted  is easiest way, if you are feeling brave give the scratches a light flat with a block and 2000 wet+dry,finish off after g3 with g10 or a hand glaze to get rid of the swirls and get top shine.. they come up mint when done! can be done by hand but never as good....

quick tip...

if u not experienced in using a machine polisher  and are scared of buffing through put masking tape on the  sharp edges to stop burning through.

I always  use water sprayed through a plant sprayer  on to the body to keep the surface wet , gets messy but reduces swirls and stops the mop burning in , you are much more likely to burn through if buffed dry... ..

gets messy

It does if you use too much compound or water. :D

First time I did this years ago I covered everthing within 20ft in G3.

Also had the polisher running WAY too quick.

GRP pretty easy to polish as its quiet a bit harder than normal paint, but as westy said keeping it damp is the key to a good finish.

HTh

Can you use Brasso on a whole car with good results?

Mine suffered a couple of yrs ago under a tarp on the way back from Mallory on a low loader.

Loads of tiny scratches/matt areas and I want to get it back looking a bit like it's only done the 8k that's on the clock

Scott if you want you can borrow me polisher if yer want, it saves on the old arms. You`ll have to get a new polishing head as mine are all pretty knacked but thier only abot 6 quid each.

:t-up:

Yer on. Offering tuition too?

Scott. if you havent usd a buffer before  and unless the plastic is hanging out the side of the buffer pad  use the old pad, less surface area and  easier to use , we always set the our paintsprayers apprentices away on an old pad for the first few times till they got the hang of it!! i still prefer  a worn pad, much easier to control .

cant tell you how many times ive had to  go back and blow in edges after someones got carried away and burnt the edge off  with a new pad :bangshead:  :bangshead:   to be fair though you will struggle to buff through a gel coat it is very thick ...good luck  :t-up:  :t-up:

Yes Scott but it's Hard work  :0

But as You and Me both work in the Health Service, We know All about this  :down:  :down:  :t-up:

Yes Scott but it's Hard work  :0

But as You and Me both work in the Health Service, We know All about this  :down:  :down:  :t-up:

Damn right there fella. After 3 cycles of lengthy CPR tonight me arms are gonna kill me tomorrow :0

G3 is a polishing compound for car paintwork.

Look here look at prices then half way down the page under accessories

It like a more abrasive version of t-cut.