SDV Upper Steering Column

Steve20

Just wasted 2 hours trying to fit the upper column on my SDV to no avail.

Column is standard Sierra (non power steering type) just like the picture in Westfield's book, however when you tighten the u clamp and lower mounting bracket bolts the column locks up solid.

Gives the impression that the lower mounting bracket is out of line so tried inserting washers between the chassis and bracket which appeared to help but as soon as you get anywhere near tightening the bolts it still locks.

Anybody else suffered this problem or have suggestions ???

Got any pictures?  I fitted a sierra column to my dax without any problems.  I Don't really know how it fits on a westfield and can't see how it would lock up unless somethings significantly different to the sierra or my dax.

Sorry, don't have a digital camera, seems like there needs to be some form of spacer either between the top of the column and the chassis or the bottom mount and chassis.

Must be some other SDV guys out there who have suffered the same problem !!!

How exactly is it mounted?  On mine theres a wide "yoke" that goes round the column which gets bolted to 2 flanges on the chassis and a lower pinch bolt that fixes the yoke in its limited range of adjustment.

there is a spacer on the lower mount between the chassis and the column, might of not been included in your stuff from westfield, its a plate about 10mm thick with 2 M8 clearance holes through it.

Hope that helps

I'm building an SDV as well.  My steering column turns but is pretty stiff, I haven't seen a spacer for the lower fixing, I hope there isn't one or I'll have to make the hole in the footwell front plate bigger!  I just thought the lower bracket was welded to the chassis at the wrong angle as when I put the column in the lower fixing the top end of the column floated about 2" above the dashboard bar.  

I've just had a look on Stuart Wadsleys site which shows a SDV build.  Its a really useful site as it has loads of pictures, it looks like there is a spacer for the lower fixing.:(

Here's some links to Stuarts site.

steering column

steering column2

As said there is an aluminium spacer. The best way to mount the column is to seat the U-clamp on the second rib from the top (as in the Westfield suppliment). Then you can dictate the position of lower end of the column but compressing the spring more or less so that it mates up with the bottom column. If you clamp up on one of the other ribs you will have problems later when fitting the fiber glass steering cowel because the column will stick out of the dash the wrong amount.

regarding your locking solid problem. Does it run free when not attached? If it does the problem will probably be the column passing through the bottom bush at the wrong angle.

Thanks for the support, have also spoken with Mark at the factory who said that they have a spacer part number 5223043 which is 12mm thick (supplied FOC), will fit tonight and hopefully problem solved.

Cheers

Steve :D