overheating problem!

mikey d

:(  decided to change a radiator hose this weekend and after refilling the cooling system, i am now having overheating problems, i am assuming it must be an air lock but just can't seem to shift it. My car is a SE with toyota 4AGE. I'm very p***ed off  'cus i haven't had a decent blat over this easter weekend, can anyone offer any advice?     Thanks MIKE

Squash your pipes and push some water around  :D  :D

Jack the back/front of the car up as high as you can safely and bleed/squeeze/squash again! :p

I'm having the same problem, with a standard xflow.  I have a tried squeezing the pipes but it doesn't seem to have got any better.

I have a heater, which I only use to bring the engine temp down at the moment :( would disconnecting it help?

initially i had overheating problems with the xflow, could not get rid of air pockets

so i jacked the front up as high as possible, Took off the bottom rad hose (empty system) angled up the hose as high as possible and fed in the water into the engine from the bottom up,  out of the top and into the rad (top hose and caps all on) until the water started coming out of the bottom rad hole. Then refitted the bottom hose and ran up the engine (to circulate the water) and  then toped  up via the expansion tank.to completly fill the system

Never had a problem since

I think there may have been pockets either side of the ater pump filling it from the top and hence no circulation.

:) thanks for all your suggestions, by raising the front end on ramps and hours of squeezing hoses, running the engine up to temp and venting the hoses by slackening off the jubilee clips and breaking the seal with a screwdriver seems to have done the trick.

Ahem,

Just a thought but if you have had such issues why not get a coffee when youve got a minute, sit back, study the routing of the pipes and understand the flow. Then try to see if you couldnt install a tee somewhere at the highest point so as to block off for use as a vent next time you need to fill up or top up. The vent need only be a small one.

FWIW