Fuming cockpit - crankcase emissions

eononly

Picked it up, and what a beauty (well to me anyway). Goes like stink and drives far more comfortable than I imagined. One thing though, and it may be normal?, is the crankcase fumes within the cockpit. I've searched the site and came up with lots of suggestions for dealing with the oil/pressure and mine sort of has that arrangement, but not quite. The pipe from the crankcase breather goes into a oil catch tank (with the hole bigger than the pipe going into it), and then another pipe coming from the side of the rocker box, also going into a large hole in the catch tank. There is little oil in it (even though I drove home 160miles) and the dipstick is in place ok.

If I feed the crank hose to rocker then rocker to oil tank would it stop the fumes, or is the above arrangement ok as it is please  :bangshead:

Take the hood off?

What engine is it?

Worse with hood on, but still not good with hood off either (although thinking about it I had side panels on)

Engine is 1700 xflow

If I feed the crank hose to rocker then rocker to oil tank would it stop the fumes, or is the above arrangement ok as it is please  

The present arrangement is OK, until you really start 'opening it up', so to speak, which I doubt you did on your first journey. When you do, you might find the catch tank filling up rather more quickly...

Plumbing the breathers as per searches/quote, will prevent oil getting thrown into the tank. It may help slightly with the fumes, but not much. Ideally, a 'proper' catch tank needs to be made, with 'in' and 'out' pipes, so that the 'out' pipe can be plumbed to encurage fumes under the car, as opposed into the cockpit.

HTH Stu.

If I feed the crank hose to rocker then rocker to oil tank would it stop the fumes, or is the above arrangement ok as it is please  

The present arrangement is OK, until you really start 'opening it up', so to speak, which I doubt you did on your first journey. When you do, you might find the catch tank filling up rather more quickly...

Plumbing the breathers as per searches/quote, will prevent oil getting thrown into the tank. It may help slightly with the fumes, but not much. Ideally, a 'proper' catch tank needs to be made, with 'in' and 'out' pipes, so that the 'out' pipe can be plumbed to encurage fumes under the car, as opposed into the cockpit.

HTH Stu.

It got a honeymoon of approx 1/4 mile before I gave it some welly - The easiest bit for it was the 150 miles on the M1, but it did stink some. I've driven it again today with the side panels off and there was no smell, not lots of oil in the catch tank either. Realistically I spose it has to be reburn it through inlet manifold at some performance loss or route it under the car - or leave the lid off.....

are you sure that it's that? Is there a leak on the rocker cover leaking onto the exhaust etc.Bit tricky to find an oil leak on a x flow as they are usually all covered in the stuff anyway :D

Will post some pics when I get home to my computer.

The breather from crankcase needs to be plumbed back into rocker cover, then fit a cortina oil filler cap with outlet pipe moulded into cap.

Dismantle cap and remove metal filter looks like a brillo pad.

plumb the cap to a catch tank (keep this up high), and then run a pipe from catch tank down bulkhead and protrude it an inch or so under car.

This way you will minimase oil loss, and all fumes pass under car instead of into cockpit.

Will post some pics when I get home to my computer.

The breather from crankcase needs to be plumbed back into rocker cover, then fit a cortina oil filler cap with outlet pipe moulded into cap.

Dismantle cap and remove metal filter looks like a brillo pad.

plumb the cap to a catch tank (keep this up high), and then run a pipe from catch tank down bulkhead and protrude it an inch or so under car.

This way you will minimase oil loss, and all fumes pass under car instead of into cockpit.

Sounds like just the job, a definate improvement with the side panels off today, but I'm sure I'll use it on long runs with screens or delectors so it would be nice to be smog free. I'm assuming this is not carbon monoxide anyway coming from the crankcase.

Thanks for all the tips - I'm on it