• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stu999

• Matt Seabrook

• SteveF

• adhawkins

Vx should get you easily into the 180BHP plus range. Not sure about Toyota / Honda...haven't heard of any 4-ages generating big power (but that doesn't mean there aren't any).

Need to be careful, cos I think some Honda's rotate the wrong way...

Andy

Matt, the cheapest (and without doubt, the easiest) route is to modify the engine you currently have - or at least, the type of engine you have. A standard VX is only going to give you the same kind of bhp. A conversion to VX will add up (engine mountings, bell housing etc inlet and exhaust manifolds, etc etc) as well as subsequent tuning. Of course, the ultimate potential of the VX is likely to be higher, but at a price.

Honda engines could also release a lot more power for you (the likely suspect being a S2000 motor). But there will be a lot of re-engineering involved, and a lot of bespoke stuff made, just to get the engine in the front of your car in the first place.

So it is really upto how much money you want to spend, and how much hassle you want.

Having a lot of fun with your car as it is, whilst you quietly build up a 'special' motor from another engine, that can be dropped in at your leisure when it is finished has got to be the way forward IMHO. If the worst happens, you have a spare motor to drop back in then too.

HTH Stu.

Just getting rid of injection and fitting carbs should get you 180 straight away from a  Redtop VX lump.

I recall something that tells me beware of Honda car engines as the rotate the opposite direction to most other engines.

If this is not right I am sure someone will be along shortly.

:D  :p  :D  :p  :D

Honda car engines as the rotate the opposite direction

Not all do.  Think the CTR and S2000 engines are ok.  But best of luck to you if you decide to try to install one!

Most obvious option by far seems to be to stick with the Zetec.  How about some Throttle Bodies and some head work.  180-190 Bhp shouldn't be too difficult to achieve.  Talk to Raceline maybe?

What am I saying?  Get a VX, Zetecs smell! :D

It's got to be tune the Zetec. It would cost circa £3k to stick a VX in it and it would be no more powerful, true it would be a better basis for silly power later on, but do you want silly power? £3k on your zetec would be a really nice engine.

I would concur with Stu and Martin  ;)  ;) and for what you could sell your carbs for would release a chunk of money towards throbble botties  ;)  :D  ;)

Just getting rid of injection and fitting carbs should get you 180 straight away from a  Redtop VX lump.

I know that BHP figures are difficult to compare, but Matt is already getting 150bhp at the wheels from his Zetec. Dropping an otherwise standard VX in is only going to make the same (180 @ flywheel...).

Cos of all the bit you already have don't fit the duratec

Flywheel

Clutch

Bellhousing

CRB

Exhaust

inlet manifold

sump or dry sump pan

engine mounts

plumbing

The list goes on but as a new build you need all of the above in one form or another anyway

I think someone's been listening to too many people saying this or that engine is better.   There's plenty of potential in the Zetec for more power - uprated cams, ported and flowed head, throbble botties etc.

Yes, the VX may be more tuneable in the upper end, yes, the Duratec is a far superior engine.   Fact is though, you have a Zetec installation, so why not make the thing sing?   It's a 16v, lightweight (when compared to a VX) engine, with less potential for catastrophic failures than the VX (check out the water pump issue).   It is definitely good for 200 BHP plus without silly money being thrown at it.

Or is this a case of the big boys all drive VXs?