£10-£12 - What will it buy me?

CocoPops

I'm just about to become rather silly.....

I'm selling a Clio 182 (pocket rocket) to buy a micra diesel and a westfield.

I do 36k miles a year, hence the micra dci, but I want a balls out fun car for the weekend. The clio 182 is killing me on service (every 12k, ie 3 a year) and so I want the practicality of the micra but weekends I want to be free....! :D

So, what could I buy westfield wise for £10-£12k?

Would prefer newer rather than older, and would prefer factory built just for piece of mind.

Suggestions as to what I should be looking at?

I've seen a few "Sport 1800" cars? Zetec 1.8?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• adhawkins

• CocoPops

• Westfieldman

• markcoopers

Top Posters In This Topic

With that budget you will get a really good car. It all depends on what you want to do, if it is road work with a few trackdays then 16v vauxhall, or zetec 2.0ltr will be quick. If it is mainly trackdays then bike engined will give a good buzz high reving engine less tractable on the road.

Look at Findit, Ebay, Kit car mags for what you can get. For a guide I am just finishing a new build, 2.0ltr 16v vauxhall with jenvey throttle boddies dta injection to the same standard as my avatar although in full yellow which I hope to sell for £11000 when finished to fund a racing version. Don't be fixated with Factory build as they are not any better than a good privately built example, and in my opinion some times not as good.

jeff

Yeah, should have said really......

must of the time it will be road going, so I can park up friday nite and take the westie for the weekend.

I prefer the sound of Vaux/Ford engines as bits should be easy to get right?

Jeff, got any more details on the car you're building?

Do spec's change that much between cars?

Are there such things as warranties with newer cars/engines? (excuse my ignorance!;)

Where in the country are you? Sounds like your best bet would be to get along to a club meet and see a few cars.

10-12k will buy you pretty much any car you like. For a road car in that price range, real choices are something around 2 litre 16V (Zetec / Duratec / Vx XE) or maybe a V8. Depends whether you want to cruise or blat :)

My first Westfield was a 5 year old 2 litre Zetec, factory built. Full road spec including weather gear. Cost me just under 9k.

Sold it about 18 months later for 8k and 'upgraded' :)

Welcome aboard.

Andy

I'm in Bicester (Jct 9 M40) but work in Birmingham, so the M40 is my daily crawl!

Sounds like I have quite a few options open to me. I'm thinking I'd prefer a 2.0 to a V8, but I'm not entirely sure why?

Not silly at all. As soon as I could get insurance I sold a clio (1.4Rt) and purchased my first Westfield, it was my only and every day car. :D

As others have said, your budget should buy the best of the best. To to judge that for yourself get along to a local meet or a Kit car show (stoneleigh in may) to see/talk to as many as possible (as also suggested). Oh and Factory cars are not necessarily the best built (again as stated).

No point me writing this rearly was there?

No point me writing this rearly was there?

There's a lot of that around here :)

Andy

10-12k will buy you pretty much any car you like. For a road car in that price range, real choices are something around 2 litre 16V Duratec

Andy let me know who is selling a Duratec powered car for this money or is that just the engine as mine cost this to build I know I have just had to add the invoices up for he insurance Co.

And thats with out any of my time

Andy let me know who is selling a Duratec powered car for this money or is that just the engine as mine cost this to build I know I have just had to add the invoices up for he insurance Co.

Apologies, I just added Duratec to the list of engines without really thinking about it.

Hold on though, haven't you been trying for ages to convince Blatman that the Duratec is no more expensive than the Zetec? ???

:)

Andy

Hold on though, haven't you been trying for ages to convince Blatman that the Duratec is no more expensive than the Zetec?

The base engine was £500 plus vat its what I have done with it since

Hold on though, haven't you been trying for ages to convince Blatman that the Duratec is no more expensive than the Zetec? ???

And lighter than a Zetec.

And more powerful than a VX...

Still waiting... :p  :0  :0  :0  ;)