Yoko AVS sport

Blacknblue

Anybody have any views or experience of Yoko AVS sport. I thought I had decided on Toyo R888s or Yoko 048 but have just seen the AVS on mytyres for £38.50 delivered (195/50r15)

I realise they're a totally different type of tyre to the other 2, but as I'll be 95% road use I'm wondering if they'll be a better all round tyre (first in with a comment about the pun wins a prize) especially with the price difference taken into account.

Yoko 539s are a good all round road tyre. 48s may be a little difficult in the wet. Not sure about R888s.

Last time I bought 539s they were about 45 quid a corner in that size.

Andy

Andy

Yes I'd searched and read the comments about 048s in the wet. But also in the same search there seems to be a fair few comments about the 539s and T1-r/s not being that good.

When I take into consideration the fact in the last 2 years I've only driven the car once in the wet I'm not sure that matters to me.

I guess I'm just trying to sort out a better tyre than the ones that were with the kit when I got it (Avon ZV1) and get it set up for the USA2005 tour later this year.

Morning,

I use Yoko AVS Sport on my sprint car run at about 20 PSI, very impressed for the price, admittedly there are stickier tyres out there but not that I am allowed to use in class 2b - they have to be in List 1a in the blue book! They are also very good in the wet.

HTH

Tomcat

The AVS Sport is IMO one of the best tyres to go for if you want a road type tyre that will not be bald in 4000 miles.

When I take into consideration the fact in the last 2 years I've only driven the car once in the wet I'm not sure that matters to me.

Well, I wouldn't want to get caught in a downpour with tyres that are just going to aquaplane.

I drove my old Zetec on 539s for about 18 months, and never had a problem with them. Ok, they aren't the worlds grippiest tyre, but they were fine in the many rainstorms I got caught in.

If you're after out and out grip, then probably 48s are the tyre to go for. However, as you say, they don't appear to be cheap.

Andy

Toyo Proxes?????????????????????????????

Well, I wouldn't want to get caught in a downpour with tyres that are just going to aquaplane.

I agree totally, and that's one reason why I'm still trying to decide which way to go.

I understood that the 048s are OK-ish in the wet, but how does that relate in the real world. If it means you have to drive as though in a family saloon on bald tyres in snow then no they're not what I'm looking for.

If however they just need a bit of restraint in the wet I'd be OK with that.

I'm still trying to weigh up choices I think. What I don't want to do is pay £40 each for a tyre that'll last forever if it's not much better than any other road tyre. I'd rather spend more money and have more FUN

Proxes are virtually the same price as avs's. Demon tweeks are doing them *fitted* for 40 quid each.

Not sure why people would slate them regarding wet weather use either, the T1S is acknowledged as one of the top wet weather tyres available, I am a big fan of them myself & have had them on about 15 different cars now.

If you're not too bothered about wet weather performance though, the R888 or 48's would give mega grip, depends what you're after really.

:t-up:

Not that you can get hold of them any more but I must have been thinking of the Bridgestone S02's that were more expensive then! (Proxies at £40 is good though)

I gather the replacement Bridgestone S03 is not as good.

Not sure you will get the benefit of the extra grip a sticky tyre will give you while driving on the road though - depending how reckless you of course :D

I will say this once again TOYO PROXES will be excellent on Road, on track and good in the wet

I know cos I USE THEM

I put toyo TIR's on my car over winter, and today has been the first dry day I've had a change to use them. Now probably any reasonable new tyre would have been an improvement over the 5 year old Falkens, but the result is astounding. Its not in the grip or the feel of the car, I havent driven it that hard, it's the improvement in braking. The reduction in stopping distance is just incredible, and I can just about stand the car on its nose. Felt pretty good in the wet too. ;)

Bri.

how about 195x50x50 yoko advan neova's as fitted to elise fronts .designed for a light car , give good grip in both wet or dry but not that cheap .......... we run them on both the elise and the pug.