Bell housing for Type 9 and Kent motor

Steve L

Yes, I did my search and found no answer.

I have a 1.6 L Kent engine, still mounted in my Westfield. I have located a Type 9 XR4i gearbox, but do not yet have it in my possession.

I have to locate an appropriate bell housing. Is the housing specific to the engine, or will any housing for a Type 9 gearbox do? Someone has offered me a bell housing which had been installed on an OHC engine (Is that the Pinto engine?)

Can one say that that will fit?

Or do I have to pull the engine and remove the existing 4-speed box to see the flange shape and bolt pattern?

By the way, I am located in Germany, so I won't be able to just drop by and have a look.

Thanks in advance for any help you all might be able to provide.

Steve

Pinto bellhousing will fit for sure. XR4i bellhousing will probably fit. Type 9's are type 9's...

??? Not so sure about that the XR4i is a V6 and I think the stud pattern is different (I may be wrong) also I thought the V6 had a long input shaft on the gearbox so just swapping the bell housing over may not work.

Hi Blatman, I asked if OHC = Pinto. Since you didn't directly answer the question, I guess that is positive. The discussion between you and Matt: you are talking about the engine side of the housing, I believe. And the gearbox side is the same?

So I guess this means that I can take the housing for the OHC engine and bolt it to the Kent and the Type 9 box I am getting?

(yes, I do know that I will have to have the propshaft shortened and the gearbox support moved. And maybe a few other odds and ends.)

Thanks,

Steve

OHC = Pinto

If the XR4i 'box is a type 9, then it'll be the same bolt pattern on the gearbox side, and almost certainly the same pattern on the engine side. However, the XR4i 'box might have what's called a long input shaft. This "long" input shaft is only 25mm longer than a "normal" input shaft, BUT the bellhousing might also be an inch longer as a result. So check carefully...

Sticks and stones :p:D

Depending on your point of view, I'm either a mine of useful information, or a loudmouth smartarse with too much to say, and not all of it useful...

Perhaps some-one will start a poll... :0:D

Well, I thought I'd mention it just in case anyone think's I've *inadvertently* left the door open... :p

Like I say, a smartarse...

I fitted an XR4i gearbox to my Kent engine. It is, what is known as, a 'Type 9' gearbox. You either have to shorten the input shaft [which was done for me] or, I believe you can fit a spacer plate.  Sort of 25mm washer!  

Everything just bolts together fine :cool:, although it is a mix of imperial bolts into the engine and metric into the gearbox.  The starter bolted in fine, using its original bolts - which were probably imp.

I bought a rear gearbox mounting from Westfield and had a plate welded to the underside of the tunnel in the appropriate place to bolt it to.  I was able to move the engine back about an inch from its previous location :t-up:

The 'gotcha', that I came across, is that you need a different output nose from that for the 4spd box.  This is the splined shaft that goes into the back of the gearbox and forms part of the front UJ of the propshaft.  W/field can supply one of these, but only to fit a circliped UJ.  Mine wasn't :(  - some sort of star fastener.  

I solved this by acquiring a new, circlip type, cross-piece for the UJ and having the bit attached to the propshaft machined to take circlips.  The alternative is to have a new UJ welded to the propshaft, this can be more expensive...

Viel gluck :)

I had a drive of the XR4i shortly after it came out. My then girlfriends dad was given one as a company car :cool:

I've always had a soft spot for them ever since. They're pretty rare now, though, and they weren't that common when new.

XR4Ti was, IIRC a South African model Ford, and it was a V6 turbo, IIRC. It was quickly surpassed by the RS500's in the mid-late 80's. Those were the days. Who remembers Andy Rouse, Guy Edwards, Tony Soper, Rob Gravett, Tim Harvey et al doing battle in those baby's. :love: