Running in a new Zetec 1800

swiftr

Now the baby's on the road, am wondering about the best approach to running in.

If you follow factory instructions, best not to exceed 3000 rpm in any gear for about 500 miles, however, remember a thread on here about an article recommending using high revs in the first 20 miles to get the piston rings (or summat) to seal optimally.

Engine is standard Zetec 1800 with Ford placcy plenum and manifold with MBE ECU (for those of you who haven't seen my trail of woe on this combination in other threads!!;)

Also, would peeps recommend using the 2 part foam to make a booster cushion for my 5 year old son (who knows that I've built it for him because it registered on an '05' plate). Have WF sports seats and Willans 4 point harnesses and will only be using it to take him on the local industrial estate until he fits the harnesses a bit better!

and I wouldn't bother with the hassle of 2 part foam to make a booster, just buy some foam (see Yellow Pages) and then you can reduce it as he grows into the seat/harness  :t-up:  ;)

Richard,

Congrats on getting the car on the road, I'm not jealous- who am I kidding, of course I'm jealous. :D

If I was you I'd get the engine mapped properly before giving it any grief, sounds like it's "not quite right" from what you said following the SVA.

John.

Leon,

That was at the back of my mind - and I did manage to find the link after searching but thanks for gving it. Just was worried, given that this is completely the opposite of how you're told to treat 'em when new!

John,

It's wierd, but despite the fun at the SVA, the engine now seems to run fine and doesn't use as much petrol as before it was remapped by Ian at WF (I kept putting 10 litres in from a can and just leaving it on the drive to warm up used this up in no time).

PS. Don't seem to have the over cooling problem. The engine does take a while to get warm,  but once their holds about 80 deg C when driving (today when not that warm). Mind you haven't got a ducted nose on it just the standard light weight radiator.