Wheel cleaning - tips please

avsum

Hello everyone, been at my build for 1 month now and it's going really well. :t-up::t-up::t-up:

I have bought 4 used Mike Banting split rim alloys for my Megablade, which need cleaning. I'm not big on 'putting my back into it' so am looking for some labour reducing tips on how to clean 3 elements of the wheels:

1) The inner ring is magnesium - which in time grows white freckles - how best to remove these?

2) How best to remove completely the rubber weights which are unsightly and need to go!

3) On the inside of each wheel there is caked on dirt - just hot soapy water for this?

Cheers all, I can't make the Cheshire meet tomorrow but will try and make the Manchester one this month.

wonder wheels

Hello Jason, glad the builds going ok. Shame you can't make the meet tonight, never mind tho.

Balance weights- use a heat gun or hairdryer then they will come off very easily, use label remover/ turps to remove the adhesive.

Regarding generally cleaning the wheels, either wonder wheels as already recommended or other degreaser like TFR (traffic film remover) that you spray on, leave to soak for a minute or two, then wash off with hot soapy water.

Not too sure with the magnesium bit, they look like they need repainting to me, that would stop the oxidisation coming through.

HTH,

Mark.  :t-up:

ISTR that Wonder Wheels shouldn't be used on split rims.

Could be totally wrong but best to check first.

Mark

why?

being serious  :t-up:

old boy i used to know who was a valeter years ago told me about it.

used it a few times myself years ago and it wasnt too bad.

think he used to use it on mostly satin black/polished alloys.