Which distributor?

congorobot

I have noticed that in Des Hamiltons book, "How to  build and powertune weber and dellorto", he gives jetting and setting examples at the end of the book. In this he mentions a x-flow 1760cc with 45mm dellortos. Is he wrong?  He does mention that it uses 36mm chokes.

I wouldn't like to say he is wrong. However, IMHO it would quite a 'special' engine to make full use of the carbs/choke sizes. For a road engine, it is often better to 'under carb' an engine, than it is to 'over carb' it, if that makes sense.

The carbs are Dellorto dlha 40e,

Good news. A size that suits, and arguably a better carb than a Weber for a road engine...

YouMustBeJoking has suggested some very good things to check. Been there as well before now - thinking there is something drastically wrong with an engine because it has poor performance, only to find (eventually) that the carbs were not opening fully... :0  :arse:  :D

Bill Shurvington - try the search button at the top right hand corner, and choose a 'member' search in the techy section...

HTH Stu.

I've used the standard dizzy with the vac disconnected for ages so I don,t feel that is the couse of your problem, i notice that you are still using points...they have to go!! either get a Lumenition or similar type kit or change to Bill Shurvingtons megajolt kit.   However by the sound of it I would agree with the others that it is probably a carb based problem :)  ???