sudden engine roughness

neville

Having done 100 trouble free miles on Saturday, I was innocently checking my  engine over today on tickover for leaks etc when without warning the revs suddenly shot up, the engine sharted running as rough as nails with lots of pops and bangs and flames emerging  from the exhaust! The exhaust  flames subsequently  subsided but the 900rpm tickover has been replaced by a 1600 rpm one and it still runs horribly rough with induction side pops and bangs.

Its an 1800 zetec with jenvey tb's.

Nothing mechanical has obviously broken - any ideas guys?

Thanks

Neville

Could be as I was reaching over to hand blip the throttle at the time and got the distinct impression that something may have moved. As a complete mechanical dunce - can someone explain how i might  I check/rectify this possibility?

Thanks

first check to see if the throttle pot(small black unit with wires hanging out) is loose on the end of the right hand throttle body.If it moves,then you could try and move it about to get it to zero better and then re-tighten,or read through your info on the ecu to see about resetting the throttle pot to zero.

If the Throttle Pot has moved then you really need to set it's position up again using the correct software ( for example Easimap if you have an MBE ECU ). What make is your ECU? If it is an MBE unit, I can tell you what the idle voltage from the pot should be. It is very important that you get this start point correct as an error here will be reproduced throughout the map!

you have proably just dislodged the throttle cable and got it stuck on the ferrule on the end

make sure thats all correct before you start undoing the throttle pot it can be a pain to reset correctly

Having checked things out this morning, I can't see anything visibly amiss with what I think from the description above is the throttle pot. The ECU is an MBE - can't remember the number off the top of my head (I'm at work!;) but its something like 986!

• 2 weeks later...

I finally tracked the problem down and am reporting back in the interests of completeness and in case anyone else falls foul of the same problem in the future. With the benefit of hindsight the problem  was maddeningly obvious and took about two seconds to effect a cure!

There is a clip at the top of the throttle linkage between the TB's which presses against a lever which in turn controls the opening of the front two TB's. I'd somehow disloged the clip so that it sprang out of position, with the result that the front  two TB's  were operating out of sync with the others.

Obvious really!