• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Oil leak

Ady1

I have a slight problem with my 1700 xflow....... I can see some evidence of an oil leak in the region of the dip-stick. I fear it may be crankcase compression.

Has anyone any other ideas of what the problem could be?

I checked the breather and no major oil mist though, so I am a little puzzled.

Cheers.

I had exactly the same thing happen on my car after a fast run last year. Came home to find the area round the dipstick covered in oil. I checked the crankcase breather tank and it was ok. So not finding anything I drained the oil and refilled it with a measured amount. The only difference was it came to a lower level on the dipstick so I've always used that level since and I've had no problems. Might be worth checking.

Had a similar problem with my Xflow at Donington - I thought I'd blown the engine as in a long bend I got a sudden cloud of blue smoke from under the bonnet :down: - but oil pressure looked ok - so I crawled back to the pits. I found that there had been a spurt of oil up through the dipstick which had sprayed all over the engine - hence the blue smoke  :D

Engine oil level was ok, and it didn't happen again - so I think it must have just been a little over filled - as I'd topped up the oil to the dipstick mark as part of my pre-trackday checks.

I now run with a vented 'pot' which covers the top of the dipstick to catch the oil if this happens again - which it sometimes does to a small extent on trackdays

I had an oil leak from the oil filler cap!

Any ideas?

Could that be oil level?

Nope. More likely a poorly rocker box breather, or a porly fitting cap...

It's nothing to worry about, if you give a xflow a good caning it will blow oil from the dipstick hole (or any where else) there is a breather mod which helps control it which has been covered here recently, in short you feed the hose from the crank breather to the rocker box and then take another hose from the opposite end of the rocker box to the oil catch tank (Dickie brown has posted pics of his engine recently)