• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Lotus 6?

taffy

Many years ago when I was a Rally driver, I remember going to me mates garage and seeing a Westy type car.

He said it was a lotus 6, it had a Ford Popular sidevalve engine , cable brakes, and the rear solid axle was connected to the gearbox by a steel tube with the propshaft running inside.

This meant that the gearstick would jump up and down with the movement of the rear axle.It was a two seater and had a slot in the floor to allow the gearbox/ outer tube to move.

I recall it had an aluminium body.

Does anybody know what this car may have been?

And did you know that Westfield produced a version of either a *very* early Lotus 7 or it may even have been a Lotus 6 ?

Chap in the Essex area has one and it's lovely - based on an MG Midget with an A Series engine and spridget gearbox and back end.

Im going to find one

Chris Smith (Westfield founder) has a genuine 6 (or did have) as does Steve Cropley - motoring journalist and beardy chap. Both are nice chatty types and I'm sure would talk to you about them if you do want one.

Spose it begs the question, was there a lotus 5?

Started with the Lotus 6 in 1953 (scource 'Guinness Book of the Car)

It was replaced by the 7 in 1957

David