Steering Rack Gearing

Rich255

I'm in the process of modifying my car for this years Speed Series and need to replace a rather tired old (standard) steering rack. I have found that there are 2 quick racks commonly available with either 2.2 or 2.5 turns between locks. Can you please give me the benefit of your experience with either kind?

Thanks

Richard

2.2 for me

made a noticable difference changing from the standard one

meens you can react quicker when the back end starts to say hello

2.2 every time. However if you have standard track front suspension, you *might* need to fit some lock stops which will give you roughly a 1.9 rack, and the turning circle of an oil tanker...

Yes, the front track is standard. I can see that lock stops are going to be needed as the front o/s cysle wing has already received damage from fouling the exhaust. When you say that the turning circle will be bad, do you mean "bad for road use" or just plain Bad, full stop" ? Doing a 3 point turn to get round a track, or up a hill isn't going to do my yet-to-be-earned Speed Series cred any good !!! :D

2.2 every time. However if you have standard track front suspension, you *might* need to fit some lock stops which will give you roughly a 1.9 rack, and the turning circle of an oil tanker...

But thats the same regaurdless of what rack you use.

2.2 everytime though !!!

But thats the same regaurdless of what rack you use.

Not so, IME. A 2.2 rack without lockstops has an OK turning circle. A lock stopped 2.2 rack is still plenty good enough to get round even the tightest of race track hairpins...

Beasides which, a crap turning circle is only of concern if you are unable to light the rear bags up and do a spin turn. I do very few 3 pointers in the Westfield :devil: