xflow breather

davehall

Dave

I run the block breather into a T which goes in to the back of the rocker cover and then on into a catch tank.

I think that you may pressure the engine up if you don't have fome to air breathing.

What are the issues that you are trying to solve ?

Rob

Dave

I run the block breather into a T which goes in to the back of the rocker cover and then on into a catch tank.

I think that you may pressure the engine up if you don't have fome to air breathing.

What are the issues that you are trying to solve ?

Rob

Rob

Just trying to avoid having to empty the catch tank. Recently got my westie and the catch tank is basically an old washer bottle. Either I get a proper catch tank or plumb to the rocker cover.

Wants tha advantage of your set-up?

Dave

The way that mine works if that the highest point is the T at the back of the rocker cover so a lot of what breathes out will follow this route back in to the top of the head.

What doesn't will be deposited in the catch as you would expect but I find this to be a very samll ammount.

The Catch tack also allows a full breath for the engine by going to air so you don't pressure the engine which forces even more oil out.

You can also get smaller block breather from Burtons that come out at a 90 degree bend which may make this easier to plumb.

HTH

Rob

Most people plumb the block breather to the rocker cover, and then the rocker cover separately to the catch tank. Ideally get the inlet and outlet on the rocker cover as far away from each other as possible. And the catch tank as high as possible.

And the catch tank as high as possible.

When i purchased my Westy last year, the previous owner mounted the catch tank low level.

The last right hand corner at Curborough got a lovely coating of engine oil :bangshead:  :arse:  :(

Problem solved by mounting the catch tank as high as possible.

Incidently, my catch tank is a cycle water bottle and holder  :t-up:

Burtons now make a blanking plate with a welded on baffle plate on the inside to fit the engine block,to prevent the breather from throwing gallons of oil up into the breather pipe now,all ok unless you use a mechanical fuel pump,as thats where it locates.