Cap head bolts

SparkyB

In an attempt to pimp my car up, I'm considering changing all the suspension bolts on my car over to stainless cap head bolts, only problem is I can't seem to find anywhere that sells 7/16" cap head bolts.....

The list at present is...

7/16" UNF

2.5" x20

3" x4

3.75" x2

4" x2

Can anyone suggest a company that can supply these, or should I just stick with hex head (Not as bling  :down:  ) ??

Mark

I wouldn't use stainless bolts as a replacement for the hi tens bolts on the suspension.You would be hard pushed to find them anyway.Hi tens steel is a great deal stronger than stainless.Why risk a suspension arm failing for the sake of a bit of shiny.I just painted mine over with Hammerite satin paint,stops the galv going white and blends in better with the chassis paint for thet incognito look.

Yep

echo what Thrusty says don't recommend stainless as it can work harden become brittle and crack develop in a very short time

Perhaps you could get the HT stuff chrome plated dont know if that would be a problem?

???

I can get those bolts all day long...did I tell you that I live in the USA?...Shipping would be expensive...Anyway, I would agree with my other peers that you don't want stainless...I like the idea of titanium...The strength and weight reduction would cost about the same.

Vince :cool:

Didn't realise Stainless was so brittle .... My main aim is to switch to cap head for the added strength (They are rated at 12.9 from what I've heard)

Paul I take it you know where to get Titanium ones then????  Please tell :D

Mark

From me

Now who's protecting his interests and supplier/client confidentiality  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Bostin bolts Paul  :D  :D  :D and sooooooooooooooo much lighter  :D  :D

Now who's protecting his interests

Ask me the spec and I WILL TELL you

Neil drop your car round and I will fit the bolts for you no need to polish them just wash them now and again and there about £20 each not a tenner although Dunnell would charge £30 each [like the oil filter with the numbers T cut off]

I wouldn't use stainless bolts as a replacement for the hi tens bolts on the suspension

Top advice IMO

Ahem....

I have seen stainless bolts holding roll bars on etc etc (you know who you are  :bangshead: )

Change `em tomorrow.......

I have seen stainless bolts holding roll bars on etc etc

But.............................. they're really shiny and look nice  :p  :p  :p  :p  :durr:  :durr:  :durr:  :D  :D  :D  :D  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:  :D

I'll get me 8.8's  :D  :D  ;)  ;)

I'll get me 8.8's

:D  :D  :D

Its probably me (with all the recent issues I had etc) but one thing I feel really strong on is understanding bolts and how critical the use of the right sort are.

In a nasty one you could lose credibility if the car was found to have sub standard fixings on safety critical parts

YKIMS

You're absolutely spot on Hilux  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)  :D  :D  :D

Just wait until you need to explain to to someone who's only interest is in "how shiny"  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :arse:  :down:  :bangshead: