thoughts of Autosport 05

barney

It's all very well jumping to the conclusion that a £35k track car HAS to be a Radical, but only before you look at how much the things cost to run. If you get a full Radical history, you need refreshes after stupidly low hours (they said their V8 would probably need refreshing at 50hours and that's in a much lower state of tune than the 1.5s....) and all the consumable parts (splitters etc) are hideously expensive. If you don't stay with Radical for the refreshes, you can't give the cars away.

Not many Radical owners keep their cars for long - ever wondered why? We looked into that before the XTR and the costs you'd incur for the year with an SR3 or 4 are frightening.

As to those that say they can build a similar spec car for cheaper :durr: , no really? :rolleyes: - guess you've got all the staff to pay, the stock to keep, the premises and overheads of a factory to keep as well? :p

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mark Stanton

• Westfieldman

• Charlie - Yorksboys.

• barney

If you're in the market for a stripped out racer/trackcar then the XTR's offer well capable packages. Might be a bit of a pain in the :arse:  on the road though so I can see the sport 2000 filling that need very nicely.

Westfield are never gonna please all the people all the time but good on them for continuing launches of new cars/ products.

Back on thread.

As for the the comments earlier in the thread re the show itself, I cant compare as it was my first visit but I was quite impressed. I even enjoyed the live action show, again I cant compare but given the size and surface I would be pushed to offer any suggestions as to what could be done different other than to suggest lowering the volume of the music or losing it altogether as I would have loved to hear the Muira purr into the arena :(

As for the tottie, those of you that reckon they were a bit ruff live in a dream world. Some of course were more attractive than others but have you lot looked in the mirror recently :oops:  :p

I got a good discount from GRP, you just had to ask nicely, I was served by one of the girls so it was made slightly easier ???  :D

One dissapointment was the lack of drivers and access to them but that's my fault for going on a Sunday. If I still have my MSA licence next year I will go on the Friday instead, and, as has been suggested once you seen one live show, given the limitations, you've seen them all so will probably give it a miss.

Overall was a  :t-up:

Having built a brand new Duratec kit this year with a lot of the optional upgrades, 4pots, freelander lsd, 3" harnesses, RAC bar, F&R ARB's, Stack, Carbon dash, BGH box, Nitrons, etc, I can probably see / understand the costs for the S2000 more than some.

Having bought all new components (except for re-con / modified BGH box) and getting a good deal (very good) with Westfield at Autosport 2003 when the order was taken (5:30 on the sunday) I reckon i've spent in the region of 20K and thats with standard engine internals / 190bhp (Raceline wet sump,direct 2 head throttle boddies, lighweight flywheel and AP clutch included)

If you take into account the 6 Speed sequential box (+£3500 over my build) and the additional monies put into the engine(+ £4000), upgrade to new chassis, wide track suspsension, dry sump system, etc then I at least can see where the main cost difference is.

And given how much difference there is between mine and my previous 2.0 Zetec this 250bhp / 512kg (both claimed) would certainly be entertaining.

And no-ones really raised the point of the electrically heated front screen with the integral heating element, doing away with the need for the SVA heater!

And no doubt its still cheaper than the 'next best thing' that the dark side can offer :p  :D

Talking of the Dark Side - there was a CSR lurking on one of the trailer stands - and I noticed that the wiper motor hung down about 2 inches below their loverly new curved dash - looks like you can pay even more, and have loads of time to prepare (when was it launched?)  and still get the preparation (or design?) wrong

I noticed that the wiper motor hung down about 2 inches below their loverly new curved dash - looks like you can pay even more, and have loads of time to prepare (when was it launched?)  and still get the preparation (or design?) wrong

In the Focus the wiper motor was on the floor - all about getting the weight as low as possible (and no, I don't believe that was the reason on the CSR :D )

Graeme.

At £30K I would like to think you don't have to but the attension to detail on the radicals is stunning and so is the price

Some has said the engine and gearbox is £15K as cost to Westfield so Dunnel is just under £11K for that engine

I have built and installed mine for £7/8K with a load of maching Titanium bolts AP twin paddle clutch forged pistons steel rods SBD tapper TB's

So the attension to detail has been overshadowed by the rush to cash the cheque by some one

the dunnel engine is 8k.........could have saved yourself alot of work just buying one.

Harvy

Just what has Mr Dunnell done to the engine as he won't tell me

I have

keywayed the crank

ARP main bolts

ARP rod bolts

ARP head stud kit

Steel rods

Forged pistons

Pace dry sump system and SBD dry sump tank with Gold line hoses

Some head work

Double springs and Ti caps

Cams

Indervidual tapper throtle bodies

Uprated injectors

Swirl pot and assosiated bits

Dihatsue alternator

Alloy water pump pully

MBE managment

4 to 2 to 1 exhaust [ to be done soon]

I had a (brief) conversation like that with Mr Dunnell a few years ago. I wanted to buy a pair of uprated cams for my Zetec and he expected me to part with £500 without him divulging the specification and duration figures. I spent my money elsewhere.

Richard.

With all due respect Mr J - I can't say as I blame him - what Dunnell have undertaken is a business deal for a client and as such there is a small matter of client confidentiality  ;)  ;)  :D

What work you done to your engine is for pleasure and as such you do not earn your mortgage money from it  ;)  ;)  ;)

Business and pleasure are difficult to mix  ;)  ;)  ;)  :D

Slightly differing scenario to your own Rich - and perhaps understandable in your decision to go elswhere in that circumstance.

As from Pauls message he appears to directly ask what work was provided by Dunnell on the engine supplied to Westfield  ;)

I particularly thought the Toyo Tyres stand had a superb display of cars  :D  :D  :D  :blush:  :blush:  :blush:  :blush:  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:

2842.jpeg

I'll get me coat  :D  :D  :D  :D  :devil:  :devil:  :D

...January 2006 calendar picture methinks...assuming we get the brilliantly produced calendar, that is...

With all due respect Mr J - I can't say as I blame him

So if I buy this engine from him I am expected to belive it makes 250bhp but he won't say if it has forged pistons or not steel rods or not

I have not found anyother engine builder to be soo defencive about his product most will say we do xyz for 200bhp vwxyz for 250bhp and so on and will sell complete engine or advise and sell you bits to do it yourself

I have been to his workshop and bought bits for my Zetec from him

When I wanted more power from my Zetec I rang him and he ask what I had done so far I told him and the bhp  he replied with sorry you have not got that much power not possiable with that work you need to do this and that to get to that amount of power the dyno must by miles out

I said well thats what it made on Dennis Vessey's dyno you know your old one you sold him funny but he went all quiet.....

I think you are misunderstanding a little Paul  ;)

In your last post you implied that you asked Dunnell what the exact spec of the engine was that was supplied to Westfield  ;)  ;)

and noted Dunnell would not tell you  ;)

If I were Dunnell or Westfield and it was my business I would not tell you either ............ quite simply because that as a supplier of a specific product I would wish to "protect" my business rights and client agreemnts and confidentiality  ;)  :D  :D  :D  :D

If it is quite clearly sold and advertised as a 250BHP spec engine / car and as such - if this were found to be incorrect then "sales of goods act" would protect the purchaser  ;)  ;)  :D

If you commissioned someone to build you an engine and paid good money for that .................. how would you then feel if your trade secrets were being given out ad hoc to anyone that telephoned  ???  ???  ???

Call up Ferrari tell em you're Ron Dennis and ask em what their engines rev to

Business and pleasure ................... don't confuse or mix  :D  :D  :D