thoughts of Autosport 05

barney

Having seen the new Westy at the show I'm sure it goes like stink but must say for a car being shown on a stand at an international show itn didnt exactly look like a £30,000 car. The cosmetic finish inside the car was, in my opinion, very poor and I reckon you could put a Westy together with just as much power for £10,000 less!

On the whole thought the show was pretty good and the girls draped over Marks car looked great. - Must say - have never seen the Stanton mobil that shiny!!!

???:p

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mark Stanton

• Westfieldman

• Charlie - Yorksboys.

• barney

You gotta laugh at some of the anal comments - did you go round the Caterham and Radical and check out the bolt consistency on those?

At £30K I would like to think you don't have to but the attension to detail on the radicals is stunning and so is the price

Some has said the engine and gearbox is £15K as cost to Westfield so Dunnel is just under £11K for that engine

I have built and installed mine for £7/8K with a load of maching Titanium bolts AP twin paddle clutch forged pistons steel rods SBD tapper TB's

So the attension to detail has been overshadowed by the rush to cash the cheque by some one

Neil will be the only SS competitor to have a pink fluffy race suit and a hood, sponsored by Walt Disney and having Tigger, Piglet, Rabbit, Roo and Pooh in its design!

Mind u it will look better than that Gingham dress he's always wearing!! :blush:  :p  :p  :D  :D  :blush:

Buzz  :oops:

At least the gloves won't get lost with my super dooper rope through the sleeves mod.

The carbon fibre rattles are on back order, and I ordered a couple of extra dummies so I can spit 'em out in style!

:p  :p  :p  :p  :p

Well, I'll be driving like a prat, so maybe I ought to look like one.

It's OK, there's no need to comment on that last bit  :blush:  :blush:  :blush:  :blush:  :blush:

The cosmetic finish inside the car was, in my opinion, very poor and I reckon you could put a Westy together with just as much power for £10,000 less!

Exactly, 'you' could, but that is the factory built price.  The car is aimed at people who want a fast track kind of car but can't/don't want to build it themselves.

They've researched and built a new chassis, commissioned a new engine/box combo and built the thing. Yes you could buy all the parts and do it yourself for a lot less, but a complete running 250bhp car is more than just a pile of parts.  Add up all the time it would take to do all that yourself and come back with a price if you were to sell them.

Blimey !!  What do you all expect, free upgrades for existing owners?

Given the numbers of these they are likely to shift compared with normal kits there's bound to be a suitable price tag.

I just don't get all the moaning.

Mike

It's often the same, sadly. One of the manufacturers I deal with on a day to day basis, made a significant investment in surface mount component technology a number of years ago. - I should add they were one of very few companies of their size in their field to populate their own circuit boards.

This had many advantages for product performance, but we got fed up of the "there's nothing in there" comments, and the "why does that cost so much, when the bits are only worth this much". Unfortunately, all the R&D costs, (and in this case) the costs of new & better ways of doing things tend to get ignored.

And yes, many of our customers did expect free/heavily subsidised upgrades.  :bangshead:

Mike H, - you misunderstand me, - I'm well aware of all the costs involved in developing the car and the newly commissioned parts, and the power etc is very impressive. I just think the car at the show could have been finished off cosmetically in a better way and could have attracted alot more attention.

I hope it sells well and look forward to goimg out in one.

Aye fair enough Charlie - must admit I didn't see the car myself.  It was no doubt a rush to get it there.

It's just, when lots of people say they could do better a lot cheaper they seem to forget that it's a business for Westfield not a hobby and overheads like labour/premises/r&d etc aren't free like they are for a home builder.  IMO it would be wrong for potential buyers of factory cars to read comments that could give the impression the factory are perhaps charging way over the odds (like some other no longer family owned manufacturer *cough*).

No offence meant.

Mike :)

Exactly, 'you' could, but that is the factory built price.

Afriad not... £29,950 is for a box of bits you nail together. If you want it built the price goes up to ~£35k...

For comparison's sake I asked the bloke at radical how mush for a new SR4. A basic spec machine would be £26k and the machine on the stand with all the carbon and toys would come in at £31k...

And you don't have to get your fingers mucky. If I was spending £30k on a track toy I'd be knocking on Radical's door.

Sorry...

Exactly, 'you' could, but that is the factory built price.

Afriad not... £29,950 is for a box of bits you nail together. If you want it built the price goes up to ~£35k...

For comparison's sake I asked the bloke at radical how mush for a new SR4. A basic spec machine would be £26k and the machine on the stand with all the carbon and toys would come in at £31k...

And you don't have to get your fingers mucky. If I was spending £30k on a track toy I'd be knocking on Radical's door.

Sorry...

Oooer, just checked, you're right.  Hhhmmm, thinking ........

depends if you want a BEC  :devil:  :devil:

thinking again.......

Wo needs a track toy anyway?

I'm building a V8 which is a barge just for touring.

Mike  ;)

I take my last comment back, - £35,000 for a factory build car is, ( in my opinion ), a mad amount of money!!! could buy an Exige for that sort of dosh! :p

Exactly...

I seriously doubt that people who have got £30k+ plus to spend on a toy will want to (or even have the time to) get their hands dirty, and having £35k to spend brings a whole new level of toys to play with.

Has anyone considered that a car from the Westfield stable costing that much might have a welcome and positive effect on similarly specced ex-sprint cars?

Don't knock it, it beats taking off the good bits and selling 'em separately to get something like the investment back on your pride and joy.

I think that second hand values of some Westfields have been very low of late.

and having £35k to spend brings a whole new level of toys to play with

I know a couple people recently that have been in this sort of position; roughly £30/35 budget for pretty much a straight "toy".

Both aren't afraid to get there hands dirty, and both would be more than competant enough to build. One even has an old pre lit that's been off the road for a while. Both have gone down the same route though, buying various generations of Porche 911, and having them stripped out, caged, and generally turned into road legal track  cars.