thoughts of Autosport 05

barney

I for one will not be going for a while; you can't get any proper deals on anything as the cost of the stands for the exhibitors prohibit them passing on real discounts

Maybe you should have asked - my mate went to the Race technology stand in force and got 15% off two data loggers  :D

Nobody's made any comment about the new 2000S Westfield had on the stand! I went there prepared to be impressed. But I wasn't.  For something approaching £30K I thought it was very poor. The instruments were very basic (I'd expect a Stack or something for that sort of money) and for a show car some of the detail left a lot to be desired. The steering shaft just disappeared into a hole in the dashboard more like a pedal car than a serious competitor to higher end Caterhams!

Hopefully they haven't finalised some of the detailed spec. yet!!?

I enjoyed the show overall though, especially the girls :p .  I didn't bother with the Live Arena thing because I'd been twice in previous years and didn't like the way it was going.

Ken

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mark Stanton

• Westfieldman

• Charlie - Yorksboys.

• barney

Went to the show yesturdat (Saturday). Really impressed, only problem was there were'nt any westies for sale....can;t justify the new one :(:(  Any ideas how to hide 30K dissappearing from the bank account apprieciated :D:D

One thing you guys never advised us newbies to the show, was to take a camera....... luuuuuvly ladies!!  :laugh:

why spend 30k when you can build a fully caged 240bhp car with carbon interior ,seats , dash wings etc and have a 6 speed box for 15k brand new ?

Oh and i managed to get 20% discount out of GPR for 2 new race suits and a GP5 Arai ....... you just need to stand your ground and haggle .

and as for ladies , i had my own modeling shoot for 20 mins on the yoko stand , http://www.bookatrack.com/-pg?2576 , it seemed to upset the chavs with their camaras on their phones as she was not interested in looking in their direction ........ :cool:  :p

Went to the show yesterday and frankly was a bit disapointed.

Ive been going to the show for a good few years now and a while ago you could see and even chat to drivers who were walking around the show. Now that would be impossible due to the crowds.IMHO i think the show has now got too big.

The live action arena was rubbish this year, and as others have said there is far too much Max Power bling creeping in.

They have thier own shows so I think they should be activly discouraged from attending this one.

Cant comment on the engineering side, which I am sorry I missed as that where a lot of my interest lies.

And as for discounts... Im glad its not me who struggled. The best I managed to get was free carriage from QED on a linkage and air filter. Big deal,

Mark

I for one will not be going for a while; you can't get any proper deals on anything as the cost of the stands for the exhibitors prohibit them passing on real discounts

Maybe you should have asked - my mate went to the Race technology stand in force and got 15% off two data loggers  :D

Nobody's made any comment about the new 2000S Westfield had on the stand! I went there prepared to be impressed. But I wasn't.  For something approaching £30K I thought it was very poor. The instruments were very basic (I'd expect a Stack or something for that sort of money) and for a show car some of the detail left a lot to be desired. The steering shaft just disappeared into a hole in the dashboard more like a pedal car than a serious competitor to higher end Caterhams!

Hopefully they haven't finalised some of the detailed spec. yet!!?

I enjoyed the show overall though, especially the girls :p .  I didn't bother with the Live Arena thing because I'd been twice in previous years and didn't like the way it was going.

Ken

Ask; now why didn’t I think of that! drrrrr I’m talking about deals not retail discounts! and I suppose if you're a member of DT's 10% club you're getting a great discount then Ken? I think not.

Agreed about the S2000 and its slightly escalated claim of 250bhp!!! I must admit I'm not sure if I’d have liked driving a car that has had the floor lowered by 50mm to accommodate taller drivers I'm six two and I fit in my SEiGHT fine. It’s just the thought of an alloy box section welded into and protruding out of the original floor.

The new chassis looks good in silver and if  true it’s supposed to be 20% lighter and 30% stiffer than the standard SEiW chassis apparently the engine and  G/box mountings become part of the chassis stiffness design so solid mounted then!Plus the wide track kit looked pretty good and the new pick up /locations on the top of the chassis front section for the ARB.

Buzz

Buzz

agreed, the new front ARB system on the 2000Sport was a neat design.

Downsides? yep: sticking my little finger inside the Quaife dog-box as my son 'tested' the gearsick  :D

Funniest part of the show: the Westfield guy confirming for the 1000th time that the XI is only made for the 'A' Series engine ...

you could see and even chat to drivers who were walking around the show

Friday is best day for that - there were loads of drivers on stands and walking round who would stop and chat to folks with less crowd hassle than there is on Sat and Sun  :D  ;)  :D In fact most of the drivers walking around seemed to be there for the show themselves rather than in any major promotional manner except perhaps for Neal and Plato - no-one seemed to be q'ing or hassling for autographs

Public days are never any good for deals unless its 5.30 on sunday night just before closing  :D

Thursday is trade and Friday is trade and MSA licence holders - this is perceived to be where the "business" is to be attracted.  :D

Went to the show yesterday and frankly was a bit disapointed.

Ive been going to the show for a good few years now and a while ago you could see and even chat to drivers who were walking around the show. Now that would be impossible due to the crowds.IMHO i think the show has now got too big.

The live action arena was rubbish this year, and as others have said there is far too much Max Power bling creeping in.

They have thier own shows so I think they should be activly discouraged from attending this one.

Cant comment on the engineering side, which I am sorry I missed as that where a lot of my interest lies.

And as for discounts... Im glad its not me who struggled. The best I managed to get was free carriage from QED on a linkage and air filter. Big deal,

Mark

I agree. My 10 year old lad enjoyed it though as it was his 1st time.Went looking for Mr Stantons Westy and couldnt find it.

So i called back at the Westy stand to ask where it was only to be told it wasnt at the show.Found it later on my own,looks great.

The guy at Robin Hood looked as enthusiastic as ever,perched behind his desk ,face like a wet kipper,and yes you guessed it the same green suit as the last 4 years .

Didnt seem many cars there this year but car of the show still is ULTIMA!! One day One day  

As for  the new lower Westy.Where is the 30k in it?.

What this one  :D  :D  :D  :devil:

2842.jpeg

So i called back at the Westy stand to ask where it was only to be told it wasnt at the show
:angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

They knew exackerlee wher it was    :D  :D  :D  :D

Were RH there ??? and why ??? whats a RH gotta do with motorsport  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:  :D  :D

He's in a roadgoing class, so you have to have a passenger seat. Usually the minimum that can possibly be got away with will be put in there (to save cash and weight).

Andy

Car is used for sprints and hillclimbs in road-going class and as such may have drivers seat replaced by on more suited for competition use (its a Plays Kool carbon one) but must retain a passenger seat  ;) I originally had 2 seats as per passenger side - I've found the comp seat more supportive and very comfy  :D

(to save cash and weight).
LOL now thats funny  :D  :D  :D

Perhaps RH are still looking for some venture capitalists  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:  :D  :D

:)

Well, every little helps, eh Mark? :D

I'm gonna make sure I shave before every sprint, and probably a hair cut too ;)

Andy

S2000?

Not road legal because they have not put a reversing light on the back!!!!!.

Had they had spent a few quid more on a better dash and a new handbrake grip and some of the little things in life, maybe, alot more people would be interested.

Hopefully I will not be shot for saying the above........

Steve

S2000?

Not road legal because they have not put a reversing light on the back!!!!!.

Is that right? I don't think reverse light function is part of MOT, can't remember for SVA

PS - My view of the show, too much Bling but plenty of Schwing.

Schwing, Schwing, Schwing, Schwing, Schwing, Schwing, Schwing, Schwing, Schwing, Schwing, Schwing, Schwing.

I felt that the new Westfield with the Dunell Duratec fell short on the attension to detail for £30K

Look at this picture and look at the cam cover bolts

dunnell%2001.jpg