Modifying steering column for QR wheel

neville

Could the resident Westfield gurus let me know what is actually involved in modifying the steering column in order to fit a quick release wheel?

I belive that a new top column is required and I've also read that some welding is necessary but I don't know what purpose this serves or how complex it is. And on a practical point, will the dash have to come out?

Sorry for asking such damnfool questions but thanks for your help in advance!

Neville

New top column is NOT required. You do need to weld the QR slug to the column though, which means measuring the column and wheel carefully to make sure it comes back the same as when it went in.

Take the top column out and send it to Westfield, Plays Kool, or your local fabricators or racing car prep place.

New top column is NOT required. You do need to weld the QR slug to the column though, which means measuring the column and wheel carefully to make sure it comes back the same as when it went in.

Take the top column out and send it to Westfield, Plays Kool, or your local fabricators or racing car prep place.

Or me do you want the wheel any nearer or further away from you as now is your chance

I will be at the show Friday if you want me to do it for you

Slight tread hijack

How do you go about welding the QR slug onto the column I have always wanted a qr hub but the idea of simple butt welding a bit to the end of a steering column doesn't seem very appealing (Ayrton senna had the same problem shortly before he hit the wall) so is it butt welded or are they pinned as well?

Phil

Frank WILLIAMS has stood by the fact that the weld failure did not cause the crash

The way I have done mine and two or three others is to make an intermediate sleeve this can be made to be a tight fit so would hold in most light steering inputs without any welding

This is then filet welded using TIG welding equipment [mine cost me over £1600 but it is still down to the welder]

Pinning it in my opinion weakens it as the pin would need to be around 5mm dia to do any good

Calling Jamie Robbo for the uni explernation

I didn't fit mine but it's pinned aswell as welded, plus I'm sure it enters into the cloumn itself aswell for extra support, never heard of any problems with them falling off..........[goes off & checks it's secure]  :oops:  :D

The one I got done by Westfield has a sleeve over the steering column where it has been extended and then it has been welded all the way round at both ends.

Darren

Frank WILLIAMS has stood by the fact that the weld failure did not cause the crash

...as did T.V. documentary that was later shown (which included in car footage) - the conclusion was that it broke in the impact.

...as did T.V. documentary that was later shown (which included in car footage) - the conclusion was that it broke in the impact.

Yep,  Sennas crash  :down:  was caused by him being stuck behind safety car and His tyres lost heat which caused his car to 'Lower' slightly,  His Williams 'Bottomed out' and Lost Steering/Traction.

He Turned the Steering wheel, But car went straight on  :down:

Evenin' Stu  :t-up:

I think the word for the correct weld is a plug weld where a few holes are drilled in the sleeve to increase the weld area not just a weld at each end,      

welder only cost £400

but l like the idea of more weld contact :suspect:  :oops:

Neville,

Morrison and Murray (Engineering) Ltd on Roxburgh Street in Gala should be able to weld the spigot on for you. There's a guy called Kieth Connolly on racecar selling quick release bosses for £75. That's where I got mine.

HTH

Fraser

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. As a relative newcomer to this game I'm constantly amazed by the number of friendly and helpful responses to even the daftest of questions. I guess its all part of the Westfield experience - long may it remain!

Fraser - thanks for the tip re welding in Gala!

Neville

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. As a relative newcomer to this game I'm constantly amazed by the number of friendly and helpful responses to even the daftest of questions. I guess its all part of the Westfield experience - long may it remain!

Show your appreciation by posting a membership form and cheque then ;)

Andy