Leaking Diff

Andrew Mills

Mark

Thank you for the offer of help and the washer.  I have booked the car in at EMG Ford in Cambridge.  They are a franchise branch and would expect them to have the tools etc.  I am sure it will bring many memories flooding back for the older guys there.

I will let you know how I get on as your the first port of call if it all goes horribly wrong.

Andrew

If is just the nose seal leaking then you can do this in the car on a live axle.

1. drop off the prop (4 bolts).

2. Mark the front nut of the diff input flange with a line of tipex or simialr.

3. undo ( you need a peg spanner to stop the dif rotating or possibly two old bolts between a breaker bar. your handbrake might be up to the job as the nut isnt that tight.

4. take off the flange ( tap it gently to unseat the spline)

5. prise out the nose seal. (oil comes out now....)

6. replace with new nose seal. use red hermetite on the outer edge to assist with seal and lubricate it during pressing into place. lubricate the rubber with some oil.

7. Most important. Check the seal rubbing location on the diff flange. This may be scored or worn. the surface my need cleaning up with some fine wet and dry, or the diff flange might want replacing.

8 put the flange back. tighten the nut till the lines align. The number of turns will be obvious but you could count them off and on. (add some 242 loctite to the threads)

I think I will offer these instructions to the guys at the garage and watch them like a hawk.

Thank you for the advice, I will let you know how I get on as the car is booked in for Friday the 21st.

Andrew (Sorry I took the easy way out)

Andy, the way I explained it was pretty much as webmaster just posted.

The issues Mark had were due to the spanner men being in-competant.

FWIW my diff leaks but it's so slight, but it's not worth me doing anything about.

Chaz.

FWIW my diff leaks but it's so slight, but it's not worth me doing anything about

Awhah, so there is a glitch in his armour. Mine dosn't. Still it was hard to tell, everthing was covered in engine oil :down:  :down:  :down:  :arse:

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I would just let everyone know how I got on.

Well after the ford garage in Cambridge letting me down with less than 24 hrs notice saying they couldn't or wouldn't repair the leak and I had booked a days annual leave from work.  I ended up taking the car to my local village garage who have been servicing my tin tops for the last five years.  They let me put the Westy up on a ramp and have a good look around, ask advice of the mechanics and they explained how they would do the job and it was like music to my ears when the words "spring balance" and "equal torque" were mentioned.

The Westy was booked in last Monday and six days later it's back all fixed and not an extra scratch on it anywhere.  They repaired the pinion seal and half shaft seals and replaced the wheel bearings while they were there all for just a fraction over £200.  Over £90 of that was for parts. Apparently the hardest bit was sourcing the right parts.

So today I am a happy chappie and would recommend this garage if anyone has similar problems as they are Westfield friendly.  If you want the details send me a pm.

Thank you for all the advice in the past.

Andrew

Andrew, glad your confidence in the car is back......now all you need are some decent brake pads and somewhere to eat out and celebrate the coming blat season  :D  :D

Well following my four stoppie at Santa Pod I think the pads are fine, I might need some tyres though !  I seem to have a flat spot or two.

Brakes are next years upgrade.

This year is to replace the front wishbones if I can source a good cheap secondhand set and new tyres and I have already done the shocks.

I am always up for something to eat, name the place (Bella Italia) and when (one sunday in the near future) and I will be there.

Andrew

Why don't your shot blast and powder coat your existing wishbones  ???

That place in Milton that Chaz's knows do a super job :t-up:

Oh and put polybushes in at the same time. ;)

It's certainly an option, but I am trying to keep the car on the road as much as possible.  As you know mine are currently chrome and apparently that brilliases the metal so some normal powder coated ones would be stronger anyway.

Andrew