• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

A big HELLO to all from a new member in Cheshire!

avsum

Hello to everyone from a new member in Cheadle Hulme, Cheshire. I will be in contact with Steve Davies soon to attend the next Cheshire area meeting, so look forward to seeing some of you then.

I collect my MegaBlade kit on the 29th of this month, and simply cannot wait. I'm spending all my time trying to get my garage as waterproof and warm as possible - to make the 4-5 months I'm going to spend in there building it as pleasant as I can. I've bought it for both road and trackday use, and have set myself the target of Mallory Park on the 22nd of July as the date to have it built and SVA'd.

I'm no mechanic, and in particular I'm no engine expert. I bought the kit that gets me every single bit I need - except engine and wheels. And this is precisely what I need some help with.

Firstly the engine. I know I want a Honda Fireblade block, and I think I want it pre 1995 to make the build easier and a) avoid needing a catalytic convertor and b) give me the option of adding better carburettors to tune it in future? Is it true that if you have a post 1995 Fireblade engine the gears change the other way round, ie stick forwards to change up? Apologies if my lack of technical prowess has made you giggle! What have other MegaBlade owners done? What would your recommendations be?

Secondly the wheels. I was going to go for the ordinary "Classic" wheels from Westfield at £680 for 4, but have since realised I want split rim alloys - to save the weight. My problem is that I simply don't have £1300 with which to buy them. Can anyone recommended a good place to get light, good looking wheels second hand for nearer to £500?

What can I do in return? Well, I am a keen amateur photographer, always out and about with my camera. In between now and July I will be attending a few trackdays to get a feel for it etc and will be bringing my camera - so will end up taking lots of pictures of you driving your Westfield's. These pictures will be available to drivers free of charge, and posted on my website: www.jasonbrownphotography.co.uk

Thanks in advance for any help & assistance anyone is able to give me, and I really look forward to driving with you one day.

Jason Brown

Welcome, nice to see another build in the Cheshire area; looks like there could be quite a few new Westies on the roads round here this spring.  :D

Your also well in reach of the Manchester area meeting This coming Wednesday' Link where you will be very welcome and we will be arranging a group visit to the 'Autosport Show' next saturday or Sunday.

As a keen Photographer, you may just be the Man were looking for. :t-up:  :D

We also have an ex-Blade owner among us :t-up:

Hi Jason and welcome,

There's a few of us in the cheshire group although no guys with bike engines unfortunately, but there should be plenty of help on here to aid you in sorting any problems out. Most of our lot have either Vauxhall engines or Zetecs like myself.

The cheshire meeting place is The whipping stocks pub just outside Knutsford, first wednesday of the month (just missed this months) at around 8pm.

As for the wheels, might I suggest a second hand set of R500 wheels? They're not splitrims but are the lightest around afaik.

I've seen a few sets for 400-500 quid a set a few months back.

Cheers,

Mark.  :t-up:

Hi.

Compomotive CXR wheels are light and look ok, more modern than classic though.

The Compomotive website has all the details.

Yep, you want a pre-1995 (these engines have "893cm3" cast on the off side of the block) Fireblade motor to avoid cats.

There are plenty of companies that will supply the motor and exactly what you need to make it go (regulator rectifier, carbs, CDI ect)

I have used DK Motorcycles in Rotheram at £900 all in delivered.

There are many others that may deliver for less (look on the bike engine car group on Yahoo and ask)

Good luck with the build, I'm currently building a 'Blade engined SE but I'm fabricating most of the bits myself to save costs.

Chaz.

As for the wheels, might I suggest a second hand set of R500 wheels? They're not splitrims but are the lightest around afaik.

I've seen a few sets for 400-500 quid a set a few months back.

Mark they sound great...it was the National Kit Car show last year that got me into buying a Westfield, and the R500 I saw/sat in there had exactly the wheels I would like!

It's more where to get them from that I am struggling with. When you say "seen a few sets" can I ask where? Cannot really afford new wheel prices, but there must be places (better than ebay) to get good quality light wheels cheap?

I can wait for some to come available for the next 3-4 months - whilst I complete my build.

not sure the pm is working- was jsut offering whether you want to pop over and have a look at mine as Im workin on the pipes and heating/ maybe cycle wings today.

Cannot really afford new wheel prices, but there must be places (better than ebay) to get good quality light wheels cheap?

Quality, cheap amd light rarely go together when talking about wheels (or anything esle for that matter...).

The wheels on the R500 look like Mike Barnby split rims. Image Wheels make something similar. Neither are cheap, but they are extremely light. Second hand sets are rare, and they hold their price.

The next best IMHO, are the new style C******m 8 spoke wheels. There's a picture and prices on the C******m Cars web site.

Next lightest, though less aesthetically pleasing as far as I'm concerned, are the Compomotive CXR's. After that, it'll be K&N Minators which look like Minilites, but weigh in at quite a bit more than their rare magnesium cousins...

Cannot really afford new wheel prices, but there must be places (better than ebay) to get good quality light wheels cheap?

Quality, cheap amd light rarely go together when talking about wheels (or anything esle for that matter...).

The wheels on the R500 look like Mike Barnby split rims. Image Wheels make something similar. Neither are cheap, but they are extremely light. Second hand sets are rare, and they hold their price.

The next best IMHO, are the new style C******m 8 spoke wheels. There's a picture and prices on the C******m Cars web site.

Next lightest, though less aesthetically pleasing as far as I'm concerned, are the Compomotive CXR's. After that, it'll be K&N Minators which look like Minilites, but weigh in at quite a bit more than their rare magnesium cousins...

R500 Mike barnby split rims £70 each BARGIN :p

R500 Mike barnby split rims £70 each BARGIN

Really? Where from? One assumes that's for the ally ones....

R500 Mike barnby split rims £70 each BARGIN

Really? Where from? One assumes that's for the ally ones....

Pukka mags

Dave @ Taylors Motorsport Tel. 01440-707273  ;)