scuttle shape

franco12

have just discovered that scuttle designs vary quite dramatically- this impacts on the placement of my heater and i'm confused-

For those who have heaters inside the scuttle- do they have a big gap on the outside of the scuttle (passenger side)

My Webpage

By the outside and inside I presume you mean under the bonnet (outside) and behind the dash (inside).

AFAIK, all installations have the heater mounted on the scuttle behind the dash - the vents heat the passenger and driver's footwells that way.

As for a big gap, I presume you mean there's nothing hanging on the scuttle under the bonnet - correct.   Mine has the coolant header tank on the offside, and nothing but the battery sitting in front of the nearside.

Hope you'll be joining the club soon?   Best value for money you'll get in your whole build, not to mention once you have it on the road too.

:D

AFAIK, all installations have the heater behind the dash

Check Steppenwolfs site. His scuttle has a far more elaborate shape to the outside of the scuttle, as does Buzz's V8, IIRC. Could be a ZK scuttle, I guess... ???

Seems to be a feature of Speedsport scuttles. (apologies if that's the same as a ZK scuttle)

Now my ol man seems to think the battery goes at the front just behind the nose cone-

Steve Richards has a posh scuttle on his-   ???

Now my ol man seems to think the battery goes at the front just behind the nose cone-

Yup...

" Mine has the coolant header tank on the offside, and nothing but the battery sitting in front of the nearside."

Hope you'll be joining the club soon?  

<- This battery is up close an personal

How do I go about joinin. I'm lookin at the worlds longest Westfield build an could use some help.

Just for the record I have a speedsport & it has the same scuttle as stepps car, I put a heater in it last year (yeah I know but it's for the missus honest guv!;) )& found there's two styles, one fits behind the dash on "standard" bulkheads/scuttles like yours and is originally from a mini, then the other type fits on the n/s of the outside of the bulkhead (like stepps and mine) & is a similar type but more compact with different piping.

Therefore you need the more popular type that fits behind the dash & needs two holes drilling through to the engine bay to plumb into the cars cooling system. The battery can then fit on the n/s of the scuttle.

HTH,

Mark.  :t-up:

Oh, see the main page for the membership form and details.

You've got the classic battery problem.  Your chassis is drilled for mouting a factory supplied glass fibre battery tray in the nosecone but you've used the welded brake brackets which means your brake lines are in the way of the battery tray.

On my SpeedSport I just made my own bracket for the brakelines on the back (ie towards rear of car) of the upright chassis rail so they no longer interferred.  Not got any pictures but it was made of ally and rivetted on.  I preferred this rather than passing the brake lines through the bodywork which is the other option.

You could always use a small gel battery mounted on the bulkhead seeing as you've not got the 'posh' scuttle.

Mike

For reference, the different style that I have in mine is as shown below:-

scuttle.jpg

Normally these scuttles were only fitted to the Factory built cars as with mine... but things could have changed

Buzz

I had one on my old car which was a modular kit back in 2000.   eng3.jpg

I've only seen them on factory or modular built cars.

Personally now I prefer the simple one I have in my starter kit as it gives me more flexibility for positioning bitsnbobs.

Mike

I can confirm that my battery is in a tray in the nosecone area which conflicted with the positioning of the air horns and anti-roll bars - a resolveable issue - and that I have had to route my brake pipes through the body as recommended by the factory.

As Franco12 has the more popular scuttle though, he won't have these issues and the battery will fit on the nearside of the scuttle 'apron' with the heater inside the scuttle in the cockpit area. Apart from the battery position, I quite like my setup as I have plenty of room inside the scuttle for access to the wiring etc. and I suspect that a heater matrix in here would be a bit of a pain to work around.