Numberplate lights

colnagowetdream

Don't know if it is legal but it diffinatley looks crap!!!!!!!!

I know of a dashboard ..........................................  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:  :D  :D  :D  :p  :devil:

No reason why the favourite housing of your choice couldn't be adapted to fit an LED array though.

I can't see any reason why they'd be illegal either...

No reason why the favourite housing of your choice couldn't be adapted to fit an LED array though.

I can't see any reason why they'd be illegal either...

Yep fair comment never thought of that one

How does he do it :p

I don't think the bulbs on my number plate lights are E-marked, and I'm pretty sure the lens isn't either. All the MOT man ever does is look to see if they're working...

SVA might be a different ball of wax though...

Yep, for SVA, the lights need E numbers.   After that........

I don't think that is strictly true, yes its a good starting point but according to the guy who recently inspected mine on SVA, if it is of sufficient intensity with the light patten and angle of visibility etc within the limits, i.e. of equivelant standards, then it doesn't necessarily have to have an 'E' stamp ???

I have put non standard lights on the rear of mine (car), yes they have got the relevant 'E' stamps and codes but he wasn't interested in that, purley that they were functionally correct :t-up:

Number Plate Illumination.

These are less onerous that most other car lights as the Construction & Use Act states simply that the illumination of your number plate should be “adequate”.  I’m surprised that this does not lead to a number of arguments along the lines of the “Oh yes it is” and “Oh no it isn’t” variety @ SVA.

Those lights used in production vehicles are “E” marked.

“E” marking is not essential – if the light is not “E” marked it should be compared to an “E” marked light  during SVA.

Just because the light is “E” marked does not necessarily mean it will pass SVA. Sharp edges (around screw holes etc) and lights fitted outside the positions outlined in SVA manual often cause failure.

BTW, the only other light that does not have a specified output (bulb rating) (that I can think of) is the reversing light.

Best regards for 2005 Steve @ sVc