National Motorcycle Museum

peterg

Sad to hear on TV this morning that the National Motorcycle Museum in Brimingham has been gutted by fire overnight and 70% of the bikes have been destroyed  :0  ???  it was a remarkable collection built up over the last 35 years and I'm so glad I popped in a couple of times over the last 15 years and got to see them before this tragic event  ???

Seconded...

650 out of 900 machines lost to the fire, in a sick twist of fate, the worst of the fire was in hall 5 which contained all of the priceless never to be found again stuff.

The owner has vowed, to restore what is recoverable and to travel the world to find some more.

Tragic News...

I went to an engineering show here about 5 years ago.

I ended up spending more time looking at the bikes, than the show my employer had sent me to. :t-up:  :cool:  :blush:

bl**** shame to hear this news :arse:  :arse:

David

Agreed sad news.. It was always one of those places I promised myself I would visit and never got there...great shame and apprently it was all down to a disgaurded  cigarette.

Typical of smokers if their not causing fires their butt ends litter the ground nationwide  :angry:  :angry:

Buzz ???

PS on the bright side at least they did save over 200 bikes

A complete travesty.

I'm not particularly into Bikes, but I once spent a full day there - looking in detail at the bikes.  It was amazing to see the advances in technology over a short period of time in braking, suspension, drivetrain and engines.

Some of the bikes were unbelievable examples of invention and fantastic engineering - an utter shame.

Jon

Without wishing to turn this into an anti-smoking campain...

Typical of smokers if their not causing fires their butt ends litter the ground nationwide  :angry:

and smokers can't understand why people want it banned in public places...

I went up there a few months ago to a work conference.

I got there very early and the staff let me look around before they opened.

Needless to say the bikes totally out did the conference........

A great shame not only for us but also the next generation who will never get to see the amazing collection.

Really gutted

Only went once a few years back but was intending to return.

don't own bikes but a fascinating insight into the ingenuity and engineering expertise of the people of that time and inspirational for any one looking to set about developing a product.

Heard mixed meesages about how badly the 650 bikes that were damaged but if flames could be seen 15 miles away as one report said then most must be beyond repair.

David

Yep - the news tonight shows melted engines on those in the fire centre with many destroyed and a small number of others that may be re-built - but its gonna takes years and loads of ££££££££

Structure has been destroyed as well  :(  :(  It was a superb collection  :(  :(

and I dont think there's any cheap blade or busa engines amongst the debris   :arse:

Awful, losing all that heritage in just a few minutes.   I was surprised about the Grand Prix museum at Donnington Park being right under the flightpath to East Mids airport too.   Why don't they take more steps to protect them?