• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mrjonnie

• adhawkins

• Buzz Billsberry

• PhilH

Our lass just thinks she uses logic, simple. Now where am I going to spend the night!! are shed...

Seriously does the strap jobbie link the two rear-most frame sections together to add tention and does the whole thing just about stand up on its own waiting to fall forwards on me ed or should I just *"~# off and get used to getting wet?

MrJ

It should attach by poppery-type things all the way round (when it's cold it's far harder to get it to stretch and fit).  Sometimes the naughty supporting bars get themselves crossed over and need fiddling with to get them to fit.  The only strap jobbies I can think of attach the cover to the frame and are only there to keep the frame in the right place once it's all popped onto its poppers.  I also seem to recall that poppers start to unpop at approximately 55 mph.

Definitely the latter :)

Get some waterproofs and a tonneau cover for when it's parked up.

Andy

Strap to hold cover to frame sounds promising, will go out and take a look. Got all the poppers fastened around the hood. Mind, it makes a better job of keeping out the rain than me wifes MX5..and thats reet posh!!

Ta Jon

I have only erected my hood three times apart from the actual 'installation fittings' :-

1. to take photos

2. to see if it stayed put at speed ( it passed this test up to 80mph )

3. return from my wettest ever track day at Goodwood - never again, too noisy!!

On each occasion, I followed the good instructions in the Westfield manual summarised below:-

(a) lift the cantilever at the FRONT first - DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE IMPORTANCE OF THIS SIMPLE START!!

(b) pull the TOP and BOTTOM sections apart until the two straps that join the MIDDLE and REAR ( smaller of the two 'outside' sections ) sections are taut.

© lay the hood inside out on the bonnet  ( having removed all dust and other microscopic particles first  :blush:  ) and slide the plastic moulding on the front of the hood over the top of the windscreen, locating the 'L' shaped slot over the locating screw on the inside of the top rail of the windscreen ( you did remember to fit this 5mm stainless bolt didn't you? )

(d) lift the hood off the bonnet and over the windscreen so it is lying in the cockpit and snap the two press studs at each front corner onto the screen.

(e) tilt the previously assembled 'pram' mechanism forward and pull the hood over it carefully. At this stage, it will definitely fall back onto the boot box so you may decide to make up a small 'belt' to attach it to the roll bar to avoid this :D:D

(f) pull the hood down at the back and, starting from the centre rear and working outwards alternatively left then right hand sides, start to press the press studs onto the body mounted studs.

(g) decide that you really do not want a hood in the future ......

There have been a few variants of hood frames in Westfield history.

Seriously does the strap jobbie link the two rear-most frame sections together to add tention

That rings a bell...I'm sure my mates car had that setup on his. As for the whole lot wanting to fall forwards onto you, I'm sure that the main hoop (the one that fixes the assembly to the car) had 'stops' on it to prevent that happening...

b******* it, just put it in a bag and leave it in the garage!  :D  :p

You have purchased and now own an open top two seater sports car  :D  :D  :D  :D

You live in the United Kingdom  :D  :D  :D

Getting wet and cold is a way of life  :D  :D  :D  :devil:  :D  :D

Thanks one and all. Appreciate that it's a rag top and have owned several but this one is living in my yard and has no nice warm garage to live in so the hood is to keep it reasonabley dry whilst parked up. I've been a biker of the thrash it around the dales in all weathers variety for some years and so am used to wet and cold and that sinking feeling when you try to pull on the brakes only to find you can't actually feel your hands...Will try all of the suggestions. Nice to see this site is as good as my old triumph one in terms of good advice mixed with humour...

Will be a regular from now on

Ta

Jon  :t-up:

Will be a regular from now on

I trust the membership form is in the post then ;)

Welcome :t-up:

Andy

Getting wet and cold is a way of life  :D  :D  :D  :devil:  :D  :D

Amen to that.

Personally, I really could never imagine driving my old Westfield with the hood up.

While visibility wasn't great when driving in the rain (looking through 4 layers of water isn't ideal), I can't imagine what it would be like with the whole inside of the car steaming up like a sauna!

Andy

I drove down to Cadwell for the WSCC track day the night before and that’s when we had the a monsoon the temperature in the car was  just over a 100*F!  With the hood up it dried the car out in minutes!

By the time I got to Cadwell; 90mins later. I'd shrank from 6ft 3" and 15St to 3ft 3" and 8 stone. I was dripping wet! Never again me thinks!!

The moral of this story is big engines; under slung exhausts and full weather gear are no good for Westfield’s when it’s raining!!

Buzz :sheep:

The moral of this story is big engines; under slung exhausts and full weather gear are no good for Westfield’s

I agree as part of the sale deal on my old car I had to fit a hood for the new owner, When it was fitted I took car for a drive to see what it is like the noise was almost unbearable I for one wouls sooner put waterproofs on and get wet than have to put up with that noise!

Barry

Definitely the latter :)

Get some waterproofs and a tonneau cover for when it's parked up.

Andy

Yer but ive got a boot box lid.how do o fit a tonneau over the cockpit,fasten it behind the seats without covering the boot?  

Coz it will scatch mi paint.

Does anyone custom make em?

Phil