Wrecked SE - Need Help

Vincent Langan

Greetings...I have recently purchased a Westfield SE that I wanted to restore. The car was in a front end wreck and I thought I could rebuild the car and save it from the scrape pile. I will need to rebuild the front frame and need the "L" measurements (from the book). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I will be posting the sad pictures later...

Cheers,

Greetings...I have recently purchased a Westfield SE that I wanted to restore. The car was in a front end wreck and I thought I could rebuild the car and save it from the scrape pile. I will need to rebuild the front frame and need the "L" measurements (from the book). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I will be posting the sad pictures later...

Cheers,

[Hope is not a strategy...]

Errr Just how bent is your Westy  ???

Westfield can fit New front chassis sections, but if the back-end of the Chassis is bent  :down: you will be looking at a New chassis  ???

If you do a Search you will find some more Info' on this subject....

Vincent

Post the Info' on your Chassis that you PM'd me for all to see, you'll probably get the Info' you need then  :t-up:

Beleive you said it was a '94 year chassis  ???

I have been asked to post more detail on my wrecked car. The car was, as far as we can tell, built in 1994. It orignally came as a narrow bodied SE with a cross-flow engine. In late 1999, the engine was changed to a 1.8 liter Zetec. We can repair the car if I can get the geometry measurements for the front.My Webpage See the web page for a couple of photos.

Vincent

Why not email Westfield those two pictures/Info' and ask their opinion  ???

They'll be able to advise  :t-up:

Errr It's Well Bent  :0   :down:

What did it Hit  ???

For those interested. This car was driven by an inexperienced driver who lost control going around a turn. The driver hit a car coming in the other direction...and yes...he did survive... :durr:

I may get shot down in flames for this but (if all else fails and you can't get the info you need) you could allways re-build the front end to Locost specs (there was an issue with the front geometery in the earlier book by Ron Champion but this was corrected in his later book).

The Locost chassis is "very" similar to the narrow SE chassis and the wishbones ect are all redily available.

Try www.locostbuilders.co.uk for more Locost info.

You maybe able to get Westfield to send you out a replacement front end but I doubt that they'd be happy about it seeing that they would'nt be doing the work and therefore probhably would'nt guarentuee the the new section.

Chaz.

OK if you are intent on doing this.

I did the same/similar repair and did not have a much to work from in the way of chassis data.

Establish a centre line of the chassis and get measurements about the CL of the suspension mounting points in vertical and horizontal directions by either measuring a good car or getting someone here to give you some dimensions.

Get dimensions from the rear wheels so to check the position fore/aft of the front suspension mountings.

Check for chassis tubes that are straight / bent and try to keep as much existing structure as reasonably possible to copy from.

Remove what is obviously junk and patch in some new sections checking all the time for square / straight / correct position.

The chassis needs to be straight and strong with the suspension in the right place and the bits inbetween dont really matter.

HTH

If someone has an 1994 Se narrow body and would like to help me with front dimensions, please leave your phone number and I will call (you can send it PM)

Cheers,

Vince