• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Head rest for RAC roll bar

geofff

Hi,

I have a vertical 1" square bar behind drivers head - and I prefer to run my kart type seat not the full shoulder supporting seat. So I need to make a head rest.

I was thinking: piece of circular ali (3mm say) about the same diameter as my helmet - may be 1" smaller then cover with high density foam and black tank tape. It's a racer by the way so beauty isn't important.

A bracket bent to the shape of the 1" tube bolted through ali backplate with domed bolts prior to padding being applied to backplate.

What do you reckon?   ???

Ali ok? Or should I be using steel?

Just looking at my blue book last night for extinguisher type I need but forgot to look for headrests - is there anything I need to plan for in there regarding headrests?

Any help much appreciated.

Ta

Geoff  

:D

It needs to be quite substantial - I think you'd better take a closer look at Blue Book on head restraint stuff - it is quite detailed on postition, dims and sizes etc  ;)  ;)

Hi Mark,

Q13 (2003 addition admittedly): "Head restraints when required to be fitted, must be capable of restraining a 17kg mass decelerating at 5g. (that would be 85kg right?) Dimensions to be 10cms * 10cms and located such that the drivers/passengers head/helmet is restrained and cannot move past it under rearward forces, or be trapped between the rollbar and the head restraint. It is recommended that it be within 5cm of the drivers/passengers helmet when they are normally seated."

So I reckon if I make it out of steel as described above - see piccy in latest "Build your own sportscar" - I think I should be okay.

I can't see any other references to head restraint in my blue book.   ???

I also checked to make sure my old helmet is still valid - it is  :)   - the new one should be okay for 2006  :angry:  when the MSA updates for european standards.

Comments welcomed  :)

Geoff  :D

That's the one Geoff  :D  :D  :D Good Luck - get yer welder readied  :D

Nah.

Hacksaw, drill, file but no welder needed for this one.

I prefer to bolt it on which allows for adjustment - which given my measuring ability is probably a good idea!

Ta

Geoff  :D