• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Just pranged me car

mad lon

Snowing in Cumbria.....went round a downward bend and there's a van sideways on.Nowt I could do  :down:

Can I claim off his insurance  ???

Yes I am being serious for once

went round a downward bend and there's a van sideways on

I take it he was on your side of the road? Then yes, obviously you can claim. Don't see how that's a confusing issue.

???  ???  ???

I don't see it as simply as that.... As a road user you should always drive to allow yourself time to stop in any conditions (in the eyes of the law). I'm not saying it's your fault - it's a accident that neither of you could have stopped, but I would imagine that the insurance companies will call it a 50/50. I would talk to your insurance company as soon as possible to get some clarification.

Good luck.

I agree with simon4007. In the eyes of the law the van driver was doing no wrong by being sideways on on your side of the law. If he was stationary you shouldn't have hit him. Hopefully the insurance will see it 50/50

Not sure I'd be discussing this in a public forum. If some-one posts up a good argument for it being your fault (or some other argument that is disadvantageous to your position), and some-one with an "interest" in the claim is looking, you may have a load more trouble than you're expecting...

I realise that the chances are slim, but you never know who's watching...

Unfortunately, today they are not seen as accidents any longer, somebody is always to blame. Hence, Road Traffic Accidents are now known as Road Traffic Collisions. Blame culture. Here we go again. Sorry to hear about your plight old man. :(

Sorry to hear of plight....I would contact the insurers forthwith, yours will not be the first claim they have had to deal with of this type. FWIW, I had reason to claim a few months ago and Footman James sorted it all out in a speedy and professional manner, the most that is at risk is paying the excess if you are comprehensively insured.

The big question is were there any witnesses to the event?

Without them, it'll be your word against his, and therefore most probably, you'll end up with a 50/50 decision.

Hard Luck old man.

Was it the Westy or the Lada Cabrio ?

Hope your OK, cars are easliy mended :):)

Thanks for the replies.Just got an estimate....about £1000 plus vat.Van driver said it was his fault at scene(tho he may change his mind)Got a witness address.......and yes mercifully it was the van ordinaire  :down:  :D