Engine Question.

chazpowerslide

I've been offerd a very low milage (16000) 1800cc K serise engine with everything on it, ie it's in the car and I can take what I need before the car is scrapped.

So a few questions.

What is the power potential with the stock injection system?

Has anybody out there put one in a Westy?

Is there anybody who does the bell housings and 'zorsts appart from Cateringsham?

I don't think fit (size wise) in a narrow car is an issue as it fits into the Cateringsham OK any other comments on the subject would be handy.

Chaz.

PS MOT today which also means first drive on the road!!!!!

Aprehensive or what!!!!    ???

I don't think they're anything to shout about on stock injection, and power upgrades can be expensive 'cos all the current suppliers are aiming themselves at the Caterham/Elise market, so margins are large, IMHO.........

From what I've heard, you have to be very careful with the cooling of these engines. The early Freelanders used this lump and they were prone to over heating, head gasket failures, dropping liners, etc.... I believe that the problems were solved by moving the thermostat.

HTH

M

k series aka

ph22sm.jpg

cos of its ability to fall apart and melt and be generally a bit smelly.

Im with blatman, you wont be seeing much more than 130bhp without big bucks

Hmmm, methinks the disfunctional search is affecting Blatters partiality

A stock 1800 K should give about 120bhp. Try good old Dave Andrews for upgrades to 'K' that don't cost the earth. It does get very expensive if you want more than 180bhp.

The reputation for 'K' series head gasket/head cracking issues is deserved, however, internet research indicates that ignorance is very likely the cause. The 'K' cooling system MUST be 'bled'  when coolant is added. A fact which, apparently, even main dealer mechanics are unaware of, let alone 'under the arches' garages.

I'm corresponding with a guy who is putting a K in his Westie, if you're interested send me a PM and I'll ask him to contact you. I'm currently weighing up (literally) the options of a 'K' or a 4AGE for my Eleven.

The engine and parts to convert my car have come to about £3000 so far,and from the pics I've sent you,you can see its no where near finished. The engine was £1000 with its ECU,all ancillaries,loom and other bits and bobs like fuel pump etc. The parts I bought from Caterham were £1900 which included bell housing, clutch,fly wheel, starter motor and fitting bracket, sump and oil pick up + baffle plate, engine mounts, gearbox mount, prop shaft,wiring loom (which I took back as I thought it would be a full loom but wasn't), racing spec exhaust without cat (car is already registered and is too old to qualify for a cat).

Try Frontline for an alternative source for bell housing, mounts, etc

After a good few hours on the PC and considerable "reserch" involving Stella and a calculator I think I'll be sticking with the trusty VX

1.8 K now sold.

Thanks for the replys.

Chaz.