Rule Clarification

stever

Clarification Request

The following was received by email from Michael H Cooper on 18th November:

“I am asking for clarifiaction regarding the term pick-up point. Is it the intersection of converging centre lines of suspension components? (my definition). Or, a clevis manufactured by Westfield Sports Cars and placed in a different position to that on the Westfield chassis jig? Perhaps you intended to give an entirely different interpretation. Can you explain so that there may be no misunderstanding. Please post this question and your reply on the Speed Series forum. Regards Mick Cooper (Mem. no. 2146)”

Clarification of Rule 3.2

“Suspension pick-up points shall remain as Westfield manufacture for coil over shock absorber in Classes A,B,C and D”

This means that the five pick up points on the chassis must remain in a position that is supplied direct from Westfield. The five pick up points being two for the lower wishbone, two for the top wishbone and one for the top shock absorber mounting. This applies to both the front and rear of the car.

A tolerance in the position of the exact mounting will be allowed for ONLY to take into account manufacturing and repair tolerances. In addition any alternate position as provided for by Westfield as standard (eg: Pre Lit early cars, differing SEi/WSEi cars)

The position of the mounting on the chassis must act as the chassis side pivot point for both the top and bottom wishbones as well as the shock absorber.

This rule does allow the use of any standard configuration double wishbone of any manufacture or fabrication as long as using pick up points as per normal position.

This rule does allow the use of differential packing between the existing mount to provide for caster adjustment where rose-joints are used.

Posted on behalf of The WSCC Speed Series Team

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SteveD

• scott beeland

• Arm

• Sammo

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve thank you ,one small question, can the westfield supplied bracket used for all their suspension mountings be replaced with an aluminiun clevis.No mention of material change in the clarification, regards.

Whats wrong with the rules as they stand, seem clear enough for a novice like myself.

I've downloaded some regulations and intend to compete in 2005 and looking forward to it - If you want to use something like re-designed or engineered pick-up points whether in material or position then shouldn't you be in a modified or semi modified class - am I missing something ? or is this another wind up - looks as if its the done thing around here, at times

Sammo. There are PLENTY of closed season wind ups amongst the speed series fraternity.

Go enjoy 2005 and no doubt you'll be giving the banter too by 2006 :D

The suspension pick up issue is always guaranteed to be a controversial point; amongst others :p

Sorry I always thought you enter something and agree to abide by the rules - if you don't like the rules - then go elsewhere.

Never organised anything like it myself but collating regs as comprehensive as those must be a big undertaking

Certainly is. I've always run in Modified roadgoing courtesy of using an aeroscreen but have also always run standard pick up points.

There are always goimng to be a few people who have differing interpretations/ opinions on various technical rules

Never organised anything like it myself but collating regs as comprehensive as those must be a big undertaking

It's just the usual banter Sammo, were all bored with nothing to do cause we can't race our toys at the weekends  :D  :D  :D

Like Scott says, enjoy  :D  :D  you'll be part of the banter next year and will know the wind up merchants face to face by then. So you'll know who is taking the P**s and who's not  :D

By the way, I normally am  :devil:  :devil:

Sounds like a rule change not a clarification to me!  The wording in the Regs - read them clearly - only refers to the mountings of the coil over shock absorber and makes no reference to the pick-up points for the wishbones.  It seems as though the clarification is now changing the published Regulations to now include wishbone mountings as well.

Keith

i was planning to enter the speed series next year.

as i am newbie to this i was thinking of fitting stabilisers to the car.  these will be located in the middle of the car, and there total width will be in the region of 3 metres.  how does this rule affect the fitting of stabilisers ???

these stabiliser will be used to reduce the severe motion sickness i suffer from.

just to add fuel to the fire !!!  ???  it seems to me this is a rule change not a clarification as kieth has stated .......... and why now after first registration !!! if this was going to be done ,it should of been done a long time ago before lots of people made the suspension mods ,because now there are going to be a lot of uneligable people sorry cars ,and very unhappy people !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :t-up:  :suspect: shirly this is a backwards step  :bangshead:

smithy is your car eligabubble for the slick class  :suspect:

I thought this twas the season to be jolly!

A slight glimmer of hope is the name westfield has been used therefore we would be allowed to use the wishbone pickup areas from an XTR2 and graft them onto a 7 chassis slightly less radical I could use wide body suspension pickups on my narrow body car maybe....

(for info these are just musings and I havn't actually or intend to change suspension pickups points on my car)

Happy Christmas everybody!!

:xmas:  :xmas:  :xmas:

because now there are going to be a lot of uneligable people sorry cars ,and very unhappy people !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :t-up:  :suspect: shirly this is a backwards step  :bangshead:

On the other hand, the drivers who haven't moved their suspension pick up points will be competing on a level playing field.

Isn't that why we have the Road going classes?

Nobody is stopping the modified cars from competing, but they are exactly that - modified.