• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

bellhousing grounding

neville

Hi chaps

I'd be grateful for a few more pearls of wisdom please!

I've got an 1800 Zetec fitted to an MT75 gearbox. There's been a lot of discussion on this forum about the risks of sump grounding, and the wisdom of the sage is to fit a non-standard sump which increases the amount of ground clearance. However, I haven't seen anything about the risks of grounding the gearbox bellhousing - which sits almost as low as the standard Zetec sump which  presumably can be just as catastrophic if caught on a speed hump or kerb.

Is there anything I can do about this (for example, should I fit a skid plate or even grind away some of the the bellhousing?) Or am I worrying needlessly about something that will never happen?

Thanks for your thoughts

Neville

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• steppenwolf

• Westfieldman

• Mark B

• neville

Top Posters In This Topic

Neville,

You should have a chassis hoop to protect this area, however, having installed a low profile sump ( Raceline ) I ground off the bottom of the gearbox flange too. The measurement for ground clearance on my build site may be of interest/help in determining whether or not you have a problem.

Ride Height

As for grounding the gearbox, yup, I can confirm that on a scale of 'bad' to 'excellent', this would be a bad thing ....

i run a dry sump Vx.

when blatting hard on country lanes i have been known to knoclk the box out of gear

results in a signifcant over ref :(

but arent engines and boxes disposable items ???  :durr:  :durr:

Are you running an offroader Speedsport

From what I have seen, it's lower than many and it grounds out several Sussex roads when two up! Any lower and it will be rocking on it's chassis hoop  :D:D

How low can you go Paul?

How low can you go Paul?

Steve it's not how low it's setting the front ride hight to suit the suspension set up you have

You should with the car weighted is you would drive it [Driver fuel etc] have the front wishbones so that you draw a straight line through the center of the outer ball joints and the lower wishbone pick up points this determins your ride hight then add 10/15mm to the rear

This then alters the geometery and the cornerweights a little so you go round and round until the changes are very small or you get feed up.

Thanks for the advice guys. Yes, I do have a hoop under the gearbox,  but I'm more concerned about the flange which juts out where the gearbox mates with the engine. I'm encouraged by Steve's advice that this can be ground away without fatal consequences!

Neville

You should with the car weighted is you would drive it [Driver fuel etc] have the front wishbones so that you draw a straight line through the center of the outer ball joints and the lower wishbone pick up points this determins your ride hight then add 10/15mm to the rear

Can we have a diagram please :D:D

The flange can be ground off without any problems.   You should fabricate a plate to cover any resultant hole to stop debris entering the bell housing however.

I have also had my chassis hoop removed, and replaced with a section that doesn't stick out as far.   I use a multi storey carpark every day, and even though I'm running with low ride heights, it never grounds.

The flange can be ground off without any problems.   You should fabricate a plate to cover any resultant hole

I ground mine off so that I still had the thickness of the bellhousing wall left ( if that makes sense ). See Photo below:-

boxgrind.jpg

Coooo shiney  :cool:

and thats after how many miles Steve ?  :D