• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Pinto 2.0l EFI

mpett

I've just purchaced a 2.0 efi 205 pinto.  It looks in pretty good order and was running before it was removed from the donor.  It has about 80K.

I'm assuming its runs on Unleaded due to the fact that it is a EFI engine, and from the book 'How to power tune a ford pinto' I understand that the head has better gas flowing than the standard pinto.

I'm looking to get 135bhp out of it.  Am I correct in thinking in standard trim that it has about 110bhp?

So with all the things that I CAN do, from the book, what are the best things you can do to increase the power on a smallish budget?

I was going to start off by stripping it down most of the way and checking all the tollerances to see if there are any major bearings that need replacing, then if all is ok, I was going to change the cam for a fast road version, renue the piston rings gas flow the head a bit and put on twin 45 webbers.

I'm hoping that this will bring the power up to the required amount without breaking the bank.  Is it realistic to be budgeting for £250 for the above reconditioning + the cost of new webbers?

Any advice is most welcome.  BTW I am on a budget so realistic advice would be appreciated.  I know its worth doing as much as possible whilst I have it appart this time, but it would be nice to have a project for next winter! :)

It is NOT a given that it's set up for unleaded. The early Granadas did not have hardened valve seats. If you have the cam cover I "think" a letter "F" on it is a positive indicator. What year was the donor? If it was "E" or later it should be ok.

If you're going to fit new rings, then it's gotta be worth a hone too. That will determine how much of your budget gets blown, 'cos if it needs more than a light hone, you may need to consider a rebore and all the expense that entails.

Other than that, new big end shells (Vandervell, don't bother with any others...) rings and gaskets pus all the incidentals will probably be about 250 quid, so the cam is the bit that will blow the budget.

Oh, and fit 45 Webers, NOT 40's...

I reckon you might just about see 135bhp, depending on cam spec...

The reason I stated 45s was because I may want to do further work on the engine in the future. So wouldn't having 45's be beneficial to the 40's and enable me to extract more BHP?

Yup, sweet!

Just though of another question!  Do westfield supply an engine and gearbox manual supplement.  If so does anyone know where one might be able to find a copy online? (for reference purposes before I go pick up the kit?;)

They do and they don't.

The manual is just a couple of sheets of A4 they roughly give you an idea of how they sit in the engine bay and also how the water works fit together.

Dan

If it was a "G" plate it will have hardened valve seats - I had a Granny 2.0i on an "E" that did, but two colleagues with "D" plates didn't. A "G" is a cert IMHO.

Edited to say that although it was from a Sierra, the engine is the same and I assume the decision to fit hardened seats would have been global rather than model specific.

Errr Hummmm..  I'm probably going to embarress myself now but doesn't the EFI have a DOHC and if so are "we" sure it will fit under the bonnet.  Or am I  :durr:  :durr:  :durr:

:xmas:  :blush:

....twas the comment    

head has better gas flowing than the standard pinto
   that got me wondering and I remembered a G reg Sierra I looked at had DOHC.

Maybe not too  :blush:  :blush:   then..

Theres a robin hood site soemwhere that gives month of manufacture and valve seat info for pinto's - i'm sure blatter already knows it (i've lost the link)

Except i've just found it again, bottom of the page

Current mods i have in the pipeline for mine are, lightweight flywheel, big valve head and the fr33 cam, i already have the twin 45's so i'm hoping to get change out of £500 but nothing ever happens the way i plan it  :p   when i win some money or find a job that pays better a N/A cosworth conversion is on the cards.  

Good Luck

Karl

Errr Hummmm..  I'm probably going to embarress myself now but doesn't the EFI have a DOHC and if so are "we" sure it will fit under the bonnet.  Or am I  :durr:  :durr:  :durr:

:xmas:  :blush:

Well my Seirra was a 2.0ltr Efi.... and it was a SHOC...  :xmas: