Royal Mail

Timo

Where do I stand legally?

I live in the "avenue" my neighbour lives in the "road". In March of this year he called around to deliver a computer chip used for a gps chartplotter. The parcel had been correctly addressed to me but was delivered to his house in error and he said "curiosity got the better of him"

Despite my shock that someone had opened my mail he then proceeded to talk about boating and what other chips I had.

Last night he called around with two of my Bank statements, both opened, "in case there was anything inside for him. after all they were delivered to my address"

My wife had to hold me back as tempers got frayed but his attitude was simply if it lands on his doormat he can open it.

I have complained in the strongest terms to Royal Mail, who have said they will investigate but does anyone know what the law is on this.

Can a complete stranger open and read your mail.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• S8ight

• Timo

• thos

• Mrs Westy

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, dunno what the legal position is, but I can say that the first time I would have let him off .........

The second time, especially bearing in mind the fact that it was bank statements he was opening, I'd have given him a good shoeing.

I think you should reprimand the wife for holding you back!

:devil:  :0  :devil:  :0  :devil:

something strange about him opening them and then bringing them around

If I was gonna go as far as to read a neighbours mail, I dont think I could bring myself to go and give them the open envelope, I'd have to destroy the evidence.

I've got vague recollections that it's an offence under the Postal Services Act 2000 to open post that is not addressed to you.  

Aaah, here we go.. postal services act, section 84(3)

(3) A person commits an offence if, intending to act to a person's detriment and without reasonable excuse, he opens a postal packet which he knows or reasonably suspects has been incorrectly delivered to him.

Hmmm...that seems to me to be a guaranteed way of making sure any future misdirected mail does end up in the bin...

Andy

try and get friendly with the postman and ask him to check before he stuffs your mail through this nunneys letterbox  ;)

tupperware tub, piece of rancid old meat, pint of maggots, leave it for a good few days and then send it to him second class  post  :devil:  ;)

:D I think you'll find that's an offence under the postal services act too  :p

It's not hard to find the act if you search on google.  Interesting stuff.  You can be jailed for 6 months for opening someone elses post  :0

A mate of mine had a thing a while ago. Had a credit card delivered to the wrong house (That person then used the card). I think he lived at 3B and his post would go to number 38. The solution the Royal mail/Police came up with to help stop it happening again was to name his house. His address then became somthing like

Brooke house

3B blabla street

etc.

by no means fool proof but it helped distinguish between his house and the other one.

Hope it's some help to you.

Rich

??? ......in a previous life I lived at 27 Lytton road and the Right Reverent Richard Harris, the Bishop of Oxford, lived at 27 Lynton road. I would frequently get his mail; although how the postman managed to mistake my wee terrace house for the Bishop's ecclesiastical mansion remains a mystery. Anyway, I was frequently tempted to open his mail but always had the unnerving feeling that a lightening bolt would shoot through the window and kebab me if I did.

:blush: ......I dread to think what mail of mine was delivered to him erroneously.

:angry: ......on the point of Timmo's predicament, I'd consider my options carefully, then go and chin the basta*d.