Hands Free Car kits

gregh

I shall be keeping a copy of that in my car, 'cos it also suggests that you can use a hands free phone (or as I interpret it, headset equipped phone) as long as you haven't got it in your hand.......

Nice one Greg

that'll be interesting, I reckon you could use it and answer an incoming call, but couldn't dial out???

Within the context of holding a phone, pushing buttons on a phone while it is in a cradle or if it is

being operated via buttons on the steering wheel or handlebars of a motorbike would not, in our view,

breach the new regulation.

I welcome a complete ban on phones in cars.  I have not got enough hands free anyway -  you try pouring a cup of coffee, eating a sandwich and lighting a cigarette, all whilst combing your hair and checking the route on the map.  Hey guys, what we really need is a hands free car.  Now where did I put my bus pass?

Seriously though, we are right to be cynical whenever a new piece of legislation focuses just on one element of a larger problem.

hands free car will be here soon if the new Toyota Prius 'self parking' car shown on TV yesterday gets developed a bit more  ;)  :D

Taking this tack further..... should you be allowed walking near a road while using a mobile.. I recall that that a significant number of accidents between vehicles and pedestrians are caused because lack of concentration by the pedestrian due to mobile phone use...hence the advert on the radio in London recently. Talking on the phone . want ot cross the road...strp out into the traffic....  :(  :( .....

The point is how far do you go....... and I do agree using phones in the car does affect your ability concentration on driving.  There is also an interesting observation on this fact. If you are driving your car and are talking to your passenger next to you....what do you do if you approach a new or particularly difficult junction..............you stop talking  (well some of us do..)..until you have negociated the hazard.

Just an observation.

Dave

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! :0  :0

If the Revenue Raisers Realise the financial opportunity that would result from fining drivers for talking to their passengers, they'll be adapting the cameras for evidence

"My client's mouth was open because he was yawning M'Lud"

"Are you suggesting your client was too tired to drive?, counsel. Double the fine" :D  :D

So why are some of you against any use of the phone?

Surely if you use a hands free headset and then use voice dialling to make calls etc, then you never need to touch the phone.  This is then just the same as talking to a passenger and equally distracting.

Would you then suggest banning taking passengers or just ban them from talking to you?

I just can't see the difference.

Am all in favour of eliminating passengers who talk!!

But if hands free phones are banned then car radios/cd's etc could follow

But then most of us have seen the boys in blue using their (large handset) phone/radio at spped on the M/way and then there is the loacal ("beat") bobby with the personal radio attached to his/her shirt trying to talk with head at an angle whilst pusuing the occasional villain who is unfortunate enough to cross their path

What this all demonstrates is the continuing reduction in respect for the police amongst the publicand a general alienation with all things "authority"

anything about talking to passengers litening to the radio etc is taking things a bit too far ;)

on the other hand i dont care who you are, what you drive, how long you've been driving for, how wonderful a driver you are etc..etc.....people DO NOT concentrate fully whilst driving and having a phone conversation, even hands free.

They same way they don't concentrate when they are trying to pacify there screeming child in the back of there car.

I use a hands free kit, if I am nogotiating a difficult obsticle I stop talking and ignore the other person on the other end. When all is well I say sorry can you repeat that.

Bazzer

IIRC from a fellow students degree research suggested that any physical link with a phone would be made illegal...there fore including bluetooth wireless earpeices due to the difficulty of an officer identifying if it there is a cable attatched or not!

I have a company which installs handsfree car kits so if the job goes tits up no more westies and more people on the dole.

The latest thing we have been told is fixed in handsfree kits will be ok.Still undeceided about earpieces and bluetooth.