Computer help

Pinto Boy

My computer has decided to give me a blue screen of doom every 20 mins or so and lose my profiles  :angry:

I've decided the best course of action is to do a rebuild. I've bought a new hard drive as I have suspicions about my current one.

I've got a Maxtor 40GB from my local shop but have got it home and now realised I didn't quite understand what I was buying.

It is a 133 drive but my motherboard says it supports 33/66/100. Will it still work?

The jumper setting options are: DS(Master), CS enabled, Cap Limit and DS (Slave). I understand Master and Slave but what is the CS and DS about.

I'm a bit stressed as I need to rebuild it in a hurry so SWMBO can complete her coarse work.

Re: 66,100,133. Thats just the speed in MHz for communication between the drive and the disk controller chip. Don't worry, it will work. The drive will use the 100 Mhz data rate.

If its your only hard disk, you should set it as Master. CS stands for Cable Select an is supposed to auto detect which drive is Master/Slave.

So, I would think you should have the jumper on MASTER or if you want to try for the auto-config mode, have it on CABLE SELECT.

steve

So, I would think you should have the jumper on MASTER or if you want to try for the auto-config mode, have it on CABLE SELECT

but, if you have it on cs and have a cd rom, zip drive, card reader etc on the same ide cable but connected wrongly.. it'll get confused.

I always set hdd as master

and if poss, keep the orther stuff in a different ide channel (different cable)

older systems can throttle speeds to match the slowest device!

Thanks for this guys - I kept it as the master and installed the OS OK.

I'm now trying to re-install Office and having great fun, not :angry: There is a cabinet file on the CD called Office1.cab which is required for the install, however everytime I try it tells me it is corrupted and quits the install. I've done some searching and found this is a known problem by Microsoft that on some occasions some CD drives won't read this file even if they have read it off the same CD previously. I've tried copying it to my hard drive, using a different PC to copy it to a memory stick and then to my hard drive - but nothing works.

Therefore I have a VERY big favour to ask. Does anyone have the Office 2000 professional disk 1 which they know works, and could they send me the required file in return for beer tokens? I know this is a lot to ask and I'm going to carry on trying to fix it myself.

Thanks

Luke