Diff Fitting Problems

Steve20

The build manual shows washers being used either side of the diff mounting metalastic bushes, however there is no way that the inner washers can be fitted on my chassis.

I have a late 7.5 inch open diff and when measuring the gap between the ends of the bushes and the distance across the diff only have a difference of between 1 and 2 mm.

Can anybody tell me how critical the inner washers are and if they are critical how to overcome the problem, for example do I need to file down the sides of the diff?

Could be that the bush is too far through the tube. the outer part of the bush should be flush with the end of the chassis tube and the inner tube should only protrude by about 1mm.

Here are a couple of pic of my diff (spacer tube on left hand side is because mine is a 7" diff.

2584.jpeg

2585.jpeg

phil

Phil,

Great pictures thanks, with the exception of the top right hand bush all of them have the outer sleeve flush with the chassis (inside face), the top right protudes by about 1mm. Have tried pulling this one back into line using a bolt and specers but it will not budge.

The washers I am using have the same bore as the inner metalastic sleeves so sit on the face, is this correct?

Steve

Phil,

Great pictures thanks, with the exception of the top right hand bush all of them have the outer sleeve flush with the chassis (inside face), the top right protudes by about 1mm. Have tried pulling this one back into line using a bolt and spacers but it will not budge.

The washers I am using have the same bore as the inner metalastic sleeves so sit on the face, is this correct?

Steve

Yes the washer inside diameter should be the same as the inside bore of the bush sleeve so that the washer butts up against the inner bush.

You can get the bushes to move with a nut/bolt/washer setup but it can be tricky and you`ve got to really tighten the nut down, be careful. It might be possible to move it using a vice with a socket on one side to get it to move, again be carefull as i`ve known poeple to break vices trying this.

Is it a new chasisis?

Chassis is new, if the washers are not fitted but the bolts (top fixings) and through bolt on the bottom are torqued up evenly I would not have thought that the diff could move.

Can't understand why Westfield specify the washers as I don't know what they actually achieve other than to perhaps stop the inner sleeve of the bush being pulled into the side of the diff.

Washers are there to stop the inner part of the bush from biting in to the relativly soft aluminium of the diff. If the chassis is new I wouldn`t worry too much, just try getting some thinner washers in between the diff and bushes.

Phil

Steve,

I had a similar problem when fitting my LSD.  I could get one washer in but not the other.  I ended up using a bar to gently ease the diff/bracket apart just enough to get the second washer in.  Didn't have to move it very far and now it sits solidly in the chassis.  I have had no problems with it since.

Darren B

Thanks guys for your help, factory have confirmed that the washers are essential to prevent damage to the diff case, looks like a job for the weekend.

Cheers Steve :cool: