1.6 Engskins

cast iron

I've just bought my first Westy this year, joined the club, and started in the Auto 66 Speed championship (its local and I want to walk before I run)

The motor isnt that bad (OK its a dinosaur!!;) but I want to stay 1.6 so this winter I need to look for a new motor. Everything for the Pinto is obviously Ford and the exhaust is on the offside. :0

What have I missed what are your experiences of fitting any of the above

Cheers

Mark

It would be a hard choice for me between the Toyota or Vaux 1600's  ???  ???  ???  ???  ;)  ;)  ;)  :D  :D

I'd go with the Toyota engine. Revs it's nuts off and is reliable.

I've got one in my GTi Corolla hack and it moves it along quite nicely!!

Must be a hoot in a Westie.

RM sport in Letchworth Herts tune them and 165bhp is available for carbs/cams/and a bit of porting.

Dave O. ;)

When does the 4AGE start to run out of puff ?   And what sort of power could you get from them with, say, fuel injection and limited internal mods ??

Yes, there are limited people doing bits for the 1600 Vauxhall, but it's got masses of potential and make for a very tractable engine which is both light and compact.

When does the 4AGE start to run out of puff ?   And what sort of power could you get from them with, say, fuel injection and limited internal mods ??

160 bhp with cams, up to 200 bhp with head work and cams more if you can mod the bottom end according to

Bill Sherwood :cool:

and 10,000 rpm  :D  :D is not just for the biker boys  :devil:

They weigh about the same as a K

Or go to 1800 or 2000 and fit a Duratec engine is the right way round

Unless you have lots of bits to suit the other engines you will still need to buy lots of bits so cost for any of them will be high the Duratec will cost just a bit more as its new. See Raceline for details

Or if you can find one an Atmos Cossie engine is the right way round but heavy compaired to a Duratec or a K

1600 Focus engine is all Alloy [i have one in my Focus] and the exhaust is the right way round lots in the breakers Raceline do bits for the 1800 [1800 are a cast iron block] so these could fit the 1600

Paul.

gotta to be the puma - 80kg and 200+bhp...  :love:

thats the same as a busa, granted you ned a gearbox as well but it's still 30kg less than a xflow, probabalt 130kg less than a pinto...  :0  :p  :D

plus somebody's flogging one and an alloy bellhousing to mate it to a type 9 for £1,000... damn if only if could afford it...  :devil:

Yep, the Puma 1700 is a nice bit of kit  ;) Its yet to turn a wheel of my car, but the dyno had it showing 215bhp at 8000rpm with fairly moderate cams. The standard sump is suitable for RWD applications, it has 6mm valve stems, forged steel crank and rods, solid tappetts, nicosealed bores etc all as standard. The head is capable of flowing upto 240ish bhp. Pace make dry sump kits off the shelf, Piper do the cams, Accrolite make pistons for them and Aldon Automotive do the bellhousings.

Although the 1.6 Zetec SE is near the same engine, it does not have the forged steel rods and crank.

The only down side is that the exhaust is on the other side (not a proble to me) and that the base engines are a tad pricey (near on £1000 from the breakers)

John

This may be a silly question and I may have missed something but isn't a 1700 puma engine gonna push you up into the next class where I presume R500's etc lurk.  Sounds a fantastic package though.

John, hows the conversion gone in yours?  Any pitfalls?

Most sprint and hillclimb classes are upto 1700cc and over 1700cc. The speed series is the exception where the class break is 1800cc. Even at that, when you enter an event, the classes on the day still stipulate upto 1700cc and over 1700cc. The speed series governors then weed out the entrants from the event classes and allocate championship points accordingly.

The pitfalls?... well you count them from your wallet... :(

Seriously, I know of only 2 others that have gone this route. if I were to do it again, i would save heaps of money as I now know what works and what doesnt and who to buy the parts from.

John

Buy the vauxhall! 164 BHP without any internal mods to the engine

just fuel injection and your awaaaaaaayyy!

That's from SBD

A company called Velos seem to tune 1.6 engines too but I don't know much about them

:cool:

:D Excellent replys chaps, keep em coming

PS if anyone is thinking of going to Croft to watch the Astons tomorrow, dont bother, no entrys and a load of caterin vans!!