How do you hold yours on! ?

busapower2001

I am at last legal... well the car is  :p. I have got my plates and fitted the rear one easily with velcro. However the front doesn't seem to be so easy to fix on.

I have the ducted nosecone and this doesn't have a nice vertical  surface at the bottom (as the standard cone does) upon which to mount the plate.

How have others with the ducted cone fitted their rigid front plate on?

Cheers,

Andrew

Put a bit of double sided tape on the front of the nose.....and then keep the number plate in the car with you so if stopped....."it fell off earlier today, officer, here it is....I must try to get it to stick better next time"  ;)  :D

..... or ......

I have two almost right angle brackets bent just past 90 degrees. One limb has a single hole to retain the number plate and the other limb has two holes. The number plate is attached to the bracket through the single hole in each by 20mm x 6mm stainless steel dome head bolts with two washers and locknuts in the following order:-

Nut, plate, washer, bracket, washer, locknut. This gives minimum visual impact on the plate and by sandwiching the first washer, a very good seal is made at the back to stop the adhesive bubbling.

The other limb of the bracket is attached to the underside of the nose cone so that the rear bolt goes through the nose cone AND the lip of the internal duct thus retaining it into the front of the nose cone. For this use 25mm x 6mm stainless steel dome head bolts with two washers and locknuts in the following order:-

Nut, washer, bracket, nose cone, duct lip, washer, locknut.

For the front bolt, use a plastic number plate nut and bolt into the underneath of the nose cone. This way, if you hit a low object whilst manoeuvering, the plastic bolt will shear warning you of the danger and if you are lucky, sparing you a damaged nose cone!

USE PLASTIC BOLTS!!!!!!

That's the most important part of stepps little essay It'sll save you a nosecone one day!

Keep meaning to put mine on a hinge at the bottom of the nosecone, so as to go back if you hit anything, speed bumps, etc and also to fold back at speed  ;)

Darren

I have a similar solution as Steppenwolf on mine and my plate is at about 45° angle to the road to get more air to the rad.

The plate itself is also bent in somekind of an S shape. About  1 cm of top and bottom are bent; the top one towards rad the bottom towards the front in order, again, to get more air in the nose.

(the plate in this country are made of aluminium so you can actually bend them nicely, don't know if you can get some in the UK)

I'll try to make a picture...

Keep meaning to put mine on a hinge at the bottom of the nosecone, so as to go back if you hit anything, speed bumps, etc and also to fold back at speed

What an excellent idea. A hinge that allows the number plate to swing back under speed making it invisible to specs cameras ;)

How would you do that for the back to avoid Gatso? :p  :p  :p

I got some brackets for this purpose from Westfield - sort of nearly 90 degrees with a bit of a curve!

Didn't use them in the end because I have the standard nosecone, so it was easier to use the flat bit...

Thanks for all the replies a nice set of responses.

I wanted to use the car for the bank holiday so I had to knock something up quickly. It had to involve velcro. In the end I got some hard foam to put behind the nosecone, applied some velcro hooks to it (halfords I can't believe how handy a shop it is!;) and tehn velcro fuzz to the num plate. This was a bit iffy in holding on due to the fibreglass gap so I applied another layer of hooks and fuzz back to back to fill in the gap.

Job done was worried about it staying in place but 200 miles later it's still there  :p  :)

So my first 100% legal drive was a "long" distance (100miler) dusk then night time drive. Oh what a hoot! Those lights are excellent...  nice effect going underneath trees.

Can I sign up this country to build more rail bridges.... very long ones at that please. Such a nice noise going under them  

:p  :xmas: