X/Flow to Vx Transplant

pheatons3

Hi,

Sorry if this has already been covered.  I have searched.

My 1600cc X/flow SE is just not fast enough.  Time to upgrade.

Has anyone taken out a X/flow and replaced with a Vx?

Will it fit?  Looks tight?  Which gearbox?

Hope someone can help.

Paul

the only watch out i have heard off is if your car is an early and you have low line body work getting the engine to fit is trickier.

suggest a search on low line body work

Conrad's Castle

Has anyone taken out a X/flow and replaced with a Vx?

Yes, see the link above.  Pretty comprehensive.

Looks tight?

It is compared to A X- flow.  Height is more of a problem than width.  Mine has a VX with a very low sump and no cam belt cover but it fits with no bonnet bulges.

Which gearbox?

Ford Type 9 seems to be the way to go.  Bell housings are readily available to mate the two together.

Depending on your budget, would it not be worth putting in a more powerful X-flow first.  Should be a lot cheaper if you can get hold of a second hand engine and you should get more of your money back if you ever need to sell.

Paul

Going through this myself at the moment (but SEiW) so if you need to know more PM me.

Chris

Height is more of a problem than width.  Mine has a VX with a very low sump and no cam belt cover but it fits with no bonnet bulges.

Wet or dry? If wet, where is it from? Or is it custom-made?

If you want to look at my Vx for dimensions etc Paul just gees a shout!

Fraser,

Thanks.  Spent the afternoon taking pics of Donald's Vx in his Dutton Pheaton.  

It's going to be tight, but nothing ventured nothing gained.  I don't want to go up the straight at Knockhill again with the everyone passing me (well almost everyone!;)

After much debate I have now bought an engine (2L Red Top).

Got to go to Stafford to pick it up, b*******! But there are none up here.  Of course now I have got one there will be plenty up here.

Once I get it here and strip it down for a look the next thing will be how much of it need rebuilt.  Interested to hear how your engine is getting on and discuss stages of tune.  Shopping list getting bigger by the minute.

Paul

Thanks for all the comments on keeping or tuning my X/flow.

Been there, done that, got the T-Shirt!

Current engine has stage 3 head, 275 Cam etc etc etc.  It's quick to 50 or 60 mph but the aerodynamics take over and there is just not enough ponys under the bonnet. Don't like aeroscreens, I don't suit flies between my teeth.

If the transplant works there will be a X/flow for sale.  Anyone who wants to see it running before I take it out shout quick.

Paul

Time to move on.

:bangshead:

I've almost completed an engine swap to a VX and it fits fine in an SE.  Only difference is my car is the high line bonnet and it just clears.

If yours is the lowline body, then you may have to fit a bulge which is no big deal.

Width and length is fine though.

Anything else you need to know about fitting a VX, you can pick up from How to Install an XE

Tigger

Its a wet sump.  I didn't build the car so I'm guessing a little but most of my engine parts came from SBD so I'd assume the sump did too.  Its still not got a great deal of ground clearence though.  If money wasn't a probelm I'd look at a dry sump.

Its a wet sump.  I didn't build the car so I'm guessing a little but most of my engine parts came from SBD so I'd assume the sump did too.  Its still not got a great deal of ground clearence though.  If money wasn't a probelm I'd look at a dry sump.

:t-up: