Ready-made inspection pit...

Spencer

Has anyone ever seen those ready-made garage inspection pits that you can get?...They're kinda like a plastic pond type thing (deeper obviously!;) with built-in lighting. Last time I saw one advertised was years ago, but looked as though all you needed to do was dig a f'ing great big 'ole and secure it in place.

Moving to a new house soon, and seems like an ideal time to put one in the garage floor (subject to building regs, planning permission, etc). Could also be a perfect place to sleep for those late nights in the garage...or late night returns from the pub!  :D  :D  :zzz:  :zzz:  :zzz:

Cheers

Spen

there was somethimg about this on the Quattro owners club site, started as a joke by the way, but someone piped up about propper ones. will have a look for something for you later on.

Carl

Looked into doing this but was put off by all the building reg's, and health and safety red tape.

Errr seem to remember that you have to have: proper steps, lighting,drainage, has to be a certain size etc ???  ???

There was a discussion on just this matter a while back  :D  :D  a search would reveal all  :D  :D  :D

But trust me on this one  ;)  ;)  ;)  here's some advice for free which normally I would charge you for  ;)  ;)  :D  :D  :D  Don't do it  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)  Way tooooooo much hassle and problematic  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)  :D  :D  :D  :)

There's a company who regularly advertises ready made pit liners in Practical Classics magazine - I'll see if I can dig out their details.

Jon

I didn't think you needed any building regs for a pit?  I'm sure you don't need planning permission.

Hope you don't as I'm building one in my new garage and its already nearly finished. :( Just the steps down to build and the lighting to fit.

its something to do with the actual size of the pit and how close the bottom of the pit is in relation to nearest laod bearing wall. if you take a line down at a 45 deg. angle from the bottom of the wall the bottom of the pit cant touch this line.

i could be totally wrong by the way ???  :t-up:

Cheers for the replies everyone!...Mark, either you're a building inspector, or you've been caught by the same red-tape tripwire as I have recently (old house)  :D  ...and know the rules intimately!...I'm impressed...and lost...larrff....

Well, moved into new house yesterday...result, the new garage (cut to the important stuff) is a good 18" to 2' wider than the last one...nice...and has a v smooth floor to boot, just gotta paint it now (almost too good to dig up for a pit...almost)

I'll let you know if I get around to digging/fitting one...might make for an interesting Westie World article!!...should be a laff navigating the minefield that is the Building Regs book!

Cheers

Spen.

.Mark, either you're a building inspector, or you've been caught by the same red-tape tripwire as I have recently (old house)    ...and know the rules intimately!...I'm impressed...and lost...larrff....

Mr Stanton is a civil engineer of some sort. He runs his own consultancy/construction business.........ie, he's one of the people you should be consulting before embarking on bulding works. He has advised you (twice) for free. I don't think the hint (if you can take one) is too far from the surface.... ;)  :0  :D