Help Me Please I Need Some Reassurance!

Mike Lloyd

I am a couple of months into an SDV build, like alot of the other guys I have gone for disc brake rear end, MT75 and 2.0 Zetec.

I am planning on about 7-8,000 and to reduce the spend will be using the aero screen as this saves cost (about £800) of the full screen, heater, wipers and washers plus it saves alot of weight.

I thought the arches were standard size with emphasis being placed on using ET38 wheel offset, anybody confirm this please ???

Steve

As you have a zetec engine from an automatic mondeo you'll have to replace the flywheel with one from a manual car. You'll also need to change the small aluminium casting which holds the flywheel position sensor as they differ between the auto and manual engines. This needs to be done when the flywheel is off, if you forget it's an engine out job before it will run - ask me how I know this!  :(

ET38 is what I use,  :-)

The body on SDVs is extra wide ie like an Seight I think, and this is one reason why the carbon effect stoneguards don't fit properly :)

As has been said the detachable arches are wider. Check them when you pick up the kit. I'd been given standard ones by mistake so the wheels stuck out beyond the arches. Had already fitted them before I discovered this. Loads of wasted time and the build was on hold for 3 weeks while I waited for new ones to be made. (3 weeks is a lot when you itching to get the thing on the road!! :D )