• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Tight fit...

potster

... must cut down on the pies  :blush:

Wonder if you guys can help?

I've found a narrow bodied SE westfield that I'm very interested in.....BUT being a bit portly its a very snug fit.

So is there anyway of reshapping the tunnel to allow for another 1 or 2 CM's? Or would it be better if the panelling was removed/altered on the body side of the car?

Or as a complete alternative could I get a longer seatbelt clip so the catch was above the tunnel and not digging into my hip?

Thanks for any help you can offer guys.

Cheers Stuart

P.S. I know I could get a wide bodied but they seem to be out of my 4-5K price range

If the chassis is panelled on the inside (hard board i think) that can be removed, it may geive you a little more room.

I wouldnt recommend altering the tunnel paneling.

I did this on my first Westfield and having been upto 19 stone yes they are snug. What I did was to look under the tunnel and see where the pipes go, once you have confirmed there is room to play with gently with a shaped hammer ie rounded end tap the alloy until it has created a concave. Depending on how tall you are you may find a chassis brace in the way a bit but do not try cutting it out. Repeat the process on the other side of the seat and you will be able to get quite a large bottom in. The use of a detachable wheel aids graceful entry and exit. Travelled all round Northern France with no orthopedic damage at all    :)

Or as a complete alternative could I get a longer seatbelt clip so the catch was above the tunnel and not digging into my hip?

Does this car you have seen have three point static belts? You can gain some more room, or at least, a bit more comfort (and safety of course) by fitting harnesses... :t-up:

Would 3 of the 4 mounts used for the exisitng 3 point belt be reusable? Where would the 4th mount be bolted to?

There are (on most cars) special mounts behind the seat for four point belts. Not sure where they're anchored to at the bottom in relation to standard inertia reel type seat belts though.

Andy

The harnesses use the same lower mounts as the seat belts.

For the top mounts, look at the top chassis rail behind the seats. If there are two threaded bosses (one each side, approximately central to each seat) then you have 3 point mounts. If you have 4 threaded bosses (one approximately where each shoulder is, ie, two per seat) then you have 4 point mounts. You can also buy more bosses from Westfield and have 'em welded on so you can have as many threaded bosses as you want...

I've a narrow bodied SE, built in 1994 and it will only take 3 point belts without modification, just done this upgrade myself.

Used Willans harnesses cos I haggled a 50% discount off Demon Thieves and they're very good.

Just a thought, harnesses look great and are safe and comfy, however they can be a b***h to get into once you jammed your portly frame into the seat, I know cos I'm a lardy too!!;). Certainly not as easy as my old inertia belts. :)

If the chassis is panelled on the inside (hard board i think) that can be removed, it may geive you a little more room

Don't rely on this. I have removed my interior trim and my wife (who is slightly broader accross the beam than me....) complained that it made it very uncomfortable. There is a diagonal brace in the chassis somewhere near your hip and apparently it causes bruising.

Don't rely on this. I have removed my interior trim and my wife (who is slightly broader accross the beam than me....) complained that it made it very uncomfortable.

Toby - you're a brave man. I assume she doesn't come on here :oops:

I am also "generously proportioned" and have thrown out all the carpets etc. as it does make it easier to slip in and out of the car. Add a removable steering wheel and I'm sure you'll be fine :D

Stuart - meant to ask whereabouts are you? If you're in Hampshire then feel free to come and wedge yourself into mine :D

Cheers for the offer of a wedge  :down: but I'm based in north yorkshire.

I'm based in north yorkshire.

Poster.

I too am not the smallest of people but I have made my narrow boddied car fir me.

The secret in my case was getting the seat position and type right and the getting the pedals right.

I am in Chesterfield If you want to try my car drop me a PM.

Rob