• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Build manual and Zetec engine wiring

KerryS

From what others have said, I am learning that the build manual is, to be kind, a guide to the build process!

For the information of others, I have had some help from Mark Walker today regarding the engine wiring for a single point injection Zetec. He has supplied via e-mail a wiring diagram for the engine loom, told me that I need another hole in the panel over the gearbox to feed this loom through to the engine, and that the water temperature sensor needs exchanging and that I need to remove a plug from the block to put in the new oil pressure sensor. All this applies to Smiths instruments rather than VDO.

Once the new oil pressure sensor was in, I had to change the car's wiring loom connector from an eye to a spade.

The lambda sensor I have been supplied with needs its connector changing but the diagrams that Mark has sent me do not tally with what I have got in that wire colours do not agree, another call coming up tomorrow!

Hope this helps someone.

Kerry S

I had the same problems with the same engine. I just plugged the closest plug on the loom into the engine and it worked like a charm.

The mass flow sensor is a little hard to reach but once you know where it is it's ok.

Since you have the Smiths gauges don't forget to change the water temp sender as well and change the wiring on the plugs to the gauges (in the manual)

lambda008.jpg

The lambda probe has 4 wires the two white ones are the heater, the grey one the earth and the black one the signal.

The lambda probe loom wiring I used to know, but has escaped me. I can take a look for you tonight if you want.

Geelhoed (and anyone else who is remotely interested)

The wire colours on the car wiring loom are as in your photo BUT my lambda sensor is different; instead of grey (analogue earth) black (signal) white x 2 (heater) I have white (analogue earth) blue (signal) black x2 (heater).

There was a bit of paper in the box for the sensor which agrees with the Westfield colouring but is different to what is supplied!

The car's loom is, I think, purple/black (analogue earth), black/red (signal) Red/green and black (heater).

This all needs double checking tonight before I cut off the redundant plug from the supplied sensor and make up the new 4 pin Econoseal plug to mate with the loom's socket.

Kerry S

2498.jpeg

The supplied Lambda sensor plug on the left and the WEstfield loom on the right.

Have removed supplied Lambda sensor plug ang wired it into a mating plug to the Westfield loom.

You will see that the wiring colours are differednt to Geelhoed's.

Kerry S